Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Blowing Oil Filter Seals

Tyrone

Actually having a think about it if it popped on your drive then unlikely to be getting that high a pressure while sat there. The seal on a oil filter if done up properly should be able to take quite a silly pressure.

So check the thread your filter goes onto is good and straight. Also check the oil seal from the filter you changed a few weeks back has come off completely as there might be a piece of poo causing it to leak.

The happy handle made me do it

Thanks guys,

I'll check the filter type in a mo, interesting to note the pressure induced by thick, cold oil. Could almost do with an oil heater especially for frosty mornings! Would lagging the oil tank help?

I was trying to start the car after 4 weeks of inactivity, hard to know how I could have been gentler with it.

Tryone,

I have had this problem (well remebered Seven-Up *smile*). In my case it was due to using 20-50 Oil with the smaller Mocal Oil Cooler. The back pressure on start-up was sufficient to blow the seals on the oil filter, once the oil was warm there was no problem. The solution was to fit a larger oil cooler - since this has been done I've not had a problem.

Is your car fitted with a dry sump system ?

The thought of a leak free cross-flow - now that is a challenge *eek*

Cheers,

Peter

PS Baby Bucket = pjh

pjh,

Where was your oil cooler placed in the system? In the scavenge return or in the pressure feed to the engine?

Tryone,

Do you have an oil cooler? If so what and where as above? I think I'm going dry sumped and have been debating with myself as to which is the best place to put a laminova.

Thanks

Ian

Took the filter off yesterday, reset the oil seal and refixed the filter. The car started first time and ran very nicely. Once the oil was up to temp no problems.

The oil filter is not an EFL500, so I'll replace that. The Mocal remote oil filter housing is fitted the right way. IIRC the oil is semi synthetic 15W40 which has done 1000 miles near enough and will be changed for synthetic.

The car is dry sumped and does have a small Mocal oil cooler on the scavenge side of the circuit, physically located inside the engine bay behind the radiator. Once I have the Megajolt in and the car running sweetly I'm going to buy a new Radtec and fit the oil cooler in front on modified CC mounting brackets.

Ian,

The oil cooler is on the scavenge (return side). Its is plumbed into the radiator top hose and works really well - its been fitted now for three years and does a great job.

Tryone,

I wonder whether the current low temperatures (i.e. leading to even thicker oil than usual) and the oil cooler are leading to the same problem that I had. I was interested in Roger King's comments my problem stating that start-up oil pressures can be 10 bar *eek*.

What oil do you use ? I use Vavoline Racing.

Cheers,

Peter

Who's this Tryone character 😬

The cold weather making the oil more viscous was the reason why I originally asked if it was worth lagging the oil tank or pre- warming the oil with some form of heating element or similar.

I don't which oil was originally used but I've been topping up with Halfrauds semi synthetic to replace the stuff being dumped on the drive. As I mentioned before it is due for replacement very soon.

Tyrone,

Oops, I must learn to type properly *smile*. I guess you could try pre-heating the oil but this would be quite difficult - esp. as the coldest parts are probably the remote filter housing and the oil lines.

Ian,

Yes it is a laminova type - bought from Think Automotive.

Cheers,

Peter

Tyrone

Dont worry about the oil cooler - I removed mine in the end.

Only any use once thermostat has opened

All adds huge amount of weight and not much benefit IMHO for a XF

Try a laminova (inc 25% disc at Think) for swift warm up of oil and cooling of oil when everything is running nicely

I fitted medium size one to mine, not sure the small one will make a lot of impact 😬 and the large one is well large and complex to fit

Regards to all