Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Mechanical (non electrical) oil press gauge

DaveMorris

Am now seriously naffed off with the cheap oil pressure gauges and sensors that are fitted to my car.

As a result of changing the sensor twice and still seeing pressures which worried me (on a dry sumped crossflow) I decided to change teh pump.

No difference in pressure seen.

Then got a calibrated and approved 0-6bar gauge and fitted this into the system. Oil pressure is fine !!!

Anyone know if Caterham (or others) do a direct mechanical guage which will fit in the dash in place of the normal electro-mech one ?

If not then I'll just cover the damn thing up with tape.

Dave

Mocal - available from Think Automotive here

Don't look out of place on the dash and mine is very reliable 😬

BRG Brooklands SV 😬 It seems that perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to take away. (Antoine de Saint-Exupery)

I fitted a combined pressure/temp one from Burton power. Needed the boss in the Apollo tank drilling and tapping very carefully to 3/8" BSP - there is just enough room.

Bought the braided pressure line and routed it along the existing wiring run across the front of the engine and up onto the removeable brace as per the wiring loom - into the cockpit thro the rubber grommet. Suitably protected so as not to abraid the wiring etc.

Made a simple adaptor to go from the existing metric pressure sender fitting and allow th 1/8" BSP fitting to be screwed into it.

Bri

Dave, get the mechanical guage, they are far superior to electrical units. A reasonable quality item will be more accurate, respond instantly to changes in pressure, and be more reliable.

I have had a Mocal dual display oil pressure/oil temp guage in my car for six years with no problems, and the oil temp function I would consider as essential. You should be able to find a place on your X flow for both connections, perhaps someone else can advise exactly where.

I too recommend the MOCAL kit. It works, it looks good, and it was admired by Simon Lambert the other day *thumbup*

If you want to see what it looks like in the car, see "Low Flying" Page 7. The red pressure-warning lamp is between the tacho and speedo.

TonyK

I fitted the Mocal kit and it is fantasitc and costs about the same price as a sender all in. Looks pretty good to. Best going direct to Think as Burton just add their mark up on the same gear.

I can sympathise with you, had a number of different ones with erratic readings, usually ended up sticking and having to be replaced. I finally got one from Raceparts in Wallingford...and have never had a problem since (3 years). Raceparts also do their own gauges, so I made sure that it was the same scale (0 to 8 bar).

Robin

Ahhh - don't know. I'm sure Matthew at Think will be able to advise 😬

BRG Brooklands SV 😬 It seems that perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to take away. (Antoine de Saint-Exupery)

My oil temperature sensor, that came from THINK, fits, unaltered, into the boss on the Apollo tank. The only drawback to this arrangement is that it takes ages for the temperature reading to rise, some 10 minutes of running, but then all is well.

thanks chaps, I did indeed speak to Mr Potter @ Think yesterday and think (no pun intended) that it should be straight forward fit. Mathew, helpful chap that he is, is happy for me to send a elec temp sensor so that he can check the fit, they also have different length capillaries (spelling *confused*) so I'm off out with a piece of stiff wire to measure the run. The combined unit sounds good they have two choices - different ranges - and the kit is priced competatively. You also have the option of taking their rather large warning light or leaving it out of the kit.

Another mystery now - How do places like Think survive in this age of "helpdesks", thick head counter jockeys and "I dunno, not my job" attitude?....surely they must just be an old fashioned dinosaur in need of Management Consultant review. That Mr Potter will have to go as well - he spends far to long talking to customers making sure that they get it right and understand what they are getting? The man doesn't even get miffed when told that you won't place an order now but will call back once you have the right measurements???...Doesn't he know how to close a deal?

Paul M.