Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Night driving glasses

Ozzy

Had an extended blat this evening. Started in daylight, finished in the dark. However, encountered a major problem. As I much prefer driving without the sidescreens, I always wear sunglasses to stop my eyes streaming. Not much help when the sun sets *cool* Consequently, drove home constantly wiping my eyes.

Anyway. Anybody got a recommendation for the above. Where from, how much etc. Presumibly these are also useful for stopping glare from oncoming headlights.

Oz.

Still Shaking.

6 speed 1600k Supersport

(keep forgetting to tell people what it is!)

• Area Representative

Otherwise buy some Wiley-X XL1 glasses with interchangeable lenses. Dark green for the sun and clear for the night. I have used the blue lenses and the yellow ones too for night/poor weather driving and they are excellent. Blue makes everything seem a bit clearer but only works if there is some ambient light available i.e. from your headlights, street lights etc whereas yellow seems to work really well all the time including fog and heavy rain.

Nick

Now the Orange HPC - A 2.0 VX - 😬

You can get a type of reactolite lens for the Wileys. Laurence sent me a set. They are as good as clear at night and almost as dark as the darkest in bright sun. Take a few minutes to react but solves the problem.

Norman Verona, 1989 BDR 220bhp, Reg: B16BDR, Mem No 2166, the full story here

I've got the Wiley 'reactolite' type lenses.

They are really good lenses and so much easier than swapping lenses or taking a change of glasses. Very useful - use them for cycling to. My only critisism is that they take an age to go darker.

• Area Representative

I was thinking about the Wiley bulk-buy.

Interesting comments about the reactolites. Pauly it's better for them to go light quickly than dark quickly surely?

Just about to go over to the bb and see if reactolites are included.

Agree - better to go light quickly, which in all fairness they do, but when you pull the Caterham out of the garage on a really bright sunny day and have to wait (just about literally) 5 minutes for them to be dark enough for you to comfortably see it's a little frustrating 🙆🏻

You can get a type of reactolite lens for the Wileys. Laurence sent me a set. They are as good as clear at night and almost as dark as the darkest in bright sun.

I've used a fixed-lens 'reactolite' version of the Wileys all the time now - I've also got a conventional set with interchangeable lenses (and loved the yellows).

I am pretty bl**dy disappointed with the reactolites though - they hardly change colour at all IME. Pants, pants, pants *mad*

Project Scope-Creep is live...

Alcester Racing 7's Equipe - 🙆🏻

Alcester-Racing-Sevens.com

It is worth having a look at the safty glasses on page 333 of the DT catalogue - at a fiver a pair and with an integral elastic strap, they're very good value. I have a pair of Wileys which are great but having these for night use means I no longer have to swap lenses all the time *thumbup*

See http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/catalogue/category_list.asp?cls=MSPORT&grp=MP014&pgrp=M002

Edited by - Alex Wong on 27 May 2005 10:26:02