Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Duratec Thermostat Haater Connecotr

simonbell

Does anyone have or know where I can get the connector for the thermostat heater on the duratec. I`m trying to avoid crawling around a breakers yard this afternoon.

I`ve got a call out to GWR Motorsport who supplied my other connectors but I`m getting no response at the moment.

SImon

Simon Bell - Caterham 7 Duratec R

I`ve seen the future.....and it`s powered by duratec Check out the website here

Simon

Try Emerald. They recently supplied me a loom with this connector on. Their loom supplier should have them in stock. Having said that I spoke to a customer today who recntly dynoed at Emerald and they were having terrible problems controlling the temperature with the heated stat. I know Ben Willis has resolved this problem. I am putting a conventional 82 degree stat in the post to my customer today as he prefers this. Thinking of putting conventional stat on my own engine and on future customer engines.

AMMO

Must admit I'm in two minds about this as well. The heated 'stat is trick, and obviously has benefits but I wonder whether those benefits are worthwhile enough on a sports car that's got a fairly narrow range of use to justify the aggro. Dunno, maybe if Emerald get it singing sweetly it'll be less of a dilemma.

Hmmm strange, Emerald stuck a few blade connectors on mine and connected it into the plug on the loom, it's working perfectly. The temperature was fine at Emerald never going 90 and it was fine all weekend at Llandow.

I'm guessing there maybe something else going on if they are having problems controlling the temperature, but I could be wrong....

Rob G

www.SpeedySeven.com

I retract what I said. Spoke to Dave Walker to discuss some recent dyno results and it appears that the stat was either not working correctly (stuck open) or absent from the particular engine in question. Not sure which. Might be able to confirm this later.

AMMO

Talking to Karl at Emerald he pretty much said you can't get them at the moment so breakers yard may well be the only option, having said that mine seems to have survived fine with the plugs he fitted on it.

it even survived being liberally sprayed without coolant at the weekend when the top hose decided to detach itself and dump all the coolant in the engine bay!!! (eeek)

Rob G

www.SpeedySeven.com

Simon,

I was not able to source a new connector. HOWEVER, The knock sensor uses a similar connector, with the exception that it is keyed to the left instead of the right. I cut the connector off of the knock sensor and then carefully ground off the tang which is used to "key" the connector. Works like a charm. 😬

ELV15 - Tom in California -

200hp duratec powered 2003 Clubsport Build pics here: here

Yeah, there's no point in using a heated one when the part load maps which are developed for aftermarket applications run so rich anyway, no benefit to be had from running hotter.

It was quite refreshing to hear how much effort had gone into the part load mapping on the R300 on the other thread tonight.

Correct me if I`m wrong but surely the purpose of wiring up the stat ios to get it to open earlier thus running cooler.....not hotter?

Tom thanks for the knock sensor tip........I`ll go and check it out, I`ve got the knock sensor in the garage somewhere.

If when I purchased the new Ford thermostat I had been aware of the MAzda one I would probably have fitted it......however I`ve now bought a new Ford one (about 6 months ago) so I`m not going to shell out another wad of cash unless I can`t get this to work.

Simon Bell - Caterham 7 Duratec R

I`ve seen the future.....and it`s powered by duratec Check out the website here

Edited by - simonbell on 28 Apr 2005 08:45:25