Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Duratec - Alternator position

simonbell

Guys

I`m trying to decide where to mount the alternator...........

I have the following setup:

Std chassis

2000cc duratec

Raceline DTH TB`s

Raceline exhaust (the one which drops down on the engine side of the steering column

Non removable engine bay diagonal

Wet sump

However I do at some point want to fit a wet sump, preferably the Racelin internal pump version if it ever appears *smile*

but it may be a PAce or Titan system.

So where is the best place to mount the alternator to fit in with the above but which will aslo accomodate an external dry sump pump if I go down that route.

Simon Bell - Caterham 7 Duratec R

I`ve seen the future.....and it`s powered by duratec Check out the website here

Simon,

Based on some comments that Ammo has made I think there is only one type of alternator that will fit if you use an external dry sump pump. I think it's a very small nipon denso style one, I'm sure Ammo can confirm exactly which one it is and where is the based place to fit it.

Cheers

Rob G

Edited by - rgrigsby on 7 Feb 2005 13:39:49

I noticed that PAce have two kits now one for either side of the engine. Does that make any difference?

It`s not really a big issue........it just seems much neater when the alternator is installed on inlet side.

I`ve had the front cover milled anyway.........I just hope I`ve had enough taken off *eek*

Does the alternator fit on the exhaust side when the original Raceline exhaust is used. I think I`ve seen photos of the alternator mounted in under the front primary.............

This may all be academic as I seem to be hearing that the wet sump is coping well even on track and that dry sumping may not be strictly necessary.

Which alternator is everyone using?

It looks to be possible. I`ve found a picture of richard in France`s car.......in the duratec gallery on Jackal`s website. It clearly shows the alternator on the exhaust side behind no.1 primary. So looks like that is the way to go for me and then it leaves the dry sump options open later on.

By the way Mick, did you get my email offlist?

Cheers Mike............I`m a bit concerned I haven`t had enough material taken off the timing chain cover *mad*

I had the big engine mount machined down to the same level as the flat area above it. From your photo it looks like it may need a fair bit more............damn...........blast.............. *mad* *mad*

Nice dinky alternator though *thumbup*

Hi Simon,

Looks like you have plenty of answers, I have used a couple of different "MIC" alternator configurations, although as you know I have a LHD SV. Pictures on the site below.

All we need is for Mic to get his new website up and running and there will be a proper reference library available 24/7............

Duratec Se7en SV, built in Dubai, pics here! *cool*

Edited by - Dobuy on 8 Feb 2005 17:51:07

Right

I`ve decided to go wet sump for now and mount the alternator on the inlet side beneath the thermostat.

The reason for this is that I now know I have not removed enough material from the timing chain cover to allow the belt across to the alternative alternator mounting position. That and the fact that all of the dry sump systems still seem to have a few installation or availability issues...........oh and I`ve reassembled the engine so the timing chain cover has been refitted.

I`ll go dry sump with next winters round of upgrades.