Click here if you are having website access problems ×

MOT Emmissions Failure

Pleasantville

My R500 sailed throught its first MOT, EXEPT for being way out on emissions. Anyone had similar problems or got any suggestions? Or do I just look for a more lenient (sensible) garage? I suggested sticking the sensor up the exhaust of the car in the next bay, but that was not seen as being a good idea!

Help.....!

Do you mean Caterham will re-map it? If so it probably means they'll give you a suitable map which will get you through the MOT. You can then re-load the old "driver friendly" map until you have to go through the same game in 12 months time again.

Mick

Please explain...I have a 1998 1.6K Superlight which according to my local MOT station in Bedford is exempt from the emissions check. Although it was a factory built car the requirement does not apply according to the mechanic. Is this correct or will I face problems in the future if I take the car to a different MOT station?

My car (2000 1.8K S/S) failed last week also but only on the lambda setting, otherwise it was seen as running too clean!! I have an appointment with CC tomorow, they are checking whether or not its a dodgy lambda probe or sometyhing more sinister in the ECU... will advise!!

Green and Yellow Fever!!!

Funnily enough, my R500 also failed the emissions test this week. There were a few issues that needed to be dealt with. The most obvious was the fact that when I installed the catalyst (which has been off the car since it was SVA'd), I did not relocate the lambda sensor onto the catalyst from its normal location on No 4 downpipe. When I put it back in the right place the car ran much better, though I didn't get the car retested.

I rang up Caterham, and after the expected "what do you expect BMW would say if you turned up with a car that failed emissions that had no service history, and evidence that the engine had been totally dismantelled by an amateur?" from Andy Noble (tongue in cheek. I think!) they took the car back and are getting it sorted for me too.

One thing that can apparantly make them fail is the balancing of the roller barrels (mine were out of sync.) and the setting of the throttle potentiometer to the correct voltage when idling (it was out too). Car is being re-tested tomorrow. If that fails, then I will suggest that they lend me an ECU with a very weak map optimised for emissions for the purposes of MOT's. They don't want to do this, because they want to have the car properly set up, without bending any rules, and they have MOT'd a number of R500's already and they have passed with no problem, so the standard map must be capable of passing the test, as it did when SVA'd.

As always, I have been impressed with the way that Caterham have handled the issue: they have just dealt with it with minimum inconvenience to me.

Edited by - keith jecks on 25 Mar 2004 22:05:02

Sorry - If you fit a ECU that you can tweek yourself and remove some of the fuel , then the emission will drop and the car will pass the MOT .

Sadly , unless you have the password for your engine management computer than you cant adjust items yourself ☹️

dave

Lotus 7 Club Speed Champion 2003 *eek*

South Wales Area Organiser *smile*

C7 TOP *tongue*

I had my R500 MOT'd for the first time yesterday.

I used a local garage - and I think he misread his manual - he told me I needn't have refitted the cat as "it doesn't need an emission test"!!!! Needless to say I'd didn't contradict him.

He is based quite near Bicester - and i am happy to pass on details to anyone interested - please email off line.

However, he did insist on replacing the amber sidelight lenses, putting on a full size number plate and so on. And replacing/fefitting the headlights.

Martin

*smile*I managed to get mine passed on Friday but not until I had a new Lambda sensor and 3 hors at CC with them trying everything including a new ECU (could have been expensive!). Turned out it was the sensor and the fuel pressure regulator needed tweaking. Ultimately sailed thro with a lambda reading of 1 exactly! *thumbup*

Car doesn't feeel mich different but perhaps slightly smoother at speed and using considerably more fuel *tongue*

IAN (got the Green and Yellow Fever!!!)