Click here if you are having website access problems ×

STACK toys

clarkey

It should be an OK quarter for commission, so I'm thinking of buying a toy. I quite fancy getting a Stack dash gizmo, but I'm a little concerned at the price!

Basically, I'm looking for speedo, rev counter, oil temperature and pressure, maximum speed, lap time, peak revs, change up lights, 0-60, etc, etc. From the Stack web site, I think the 8100T is the model for me.

WhAat experience do you have of these? Should I speak to Caterham, Stack or a distributor? Are there any (cheaper) alternatives to Stack, or does the quality justify the price? Or am I just obsessed with gadgets and need to grow up a bit?

Advice appreciated as always....

The Stack system is superb, but whether it's truly worth the money or not is debatable (big fat shift and oil pressure warning lights, plus std instruments have to be cheaper!).

However for systems of that ilk I think they're pretty much the best you can get. Very neat, very well thought out and a superb pose!

If you get one at the same price as Paul then you have a real bargain (everything's relative)...

Another option, if you could live without oil pressure/temp would be the tach-timer thing they do, which has all the other features (I think it's the ST500). You wouldn't necessarily need a new dash panel either.

If you've got cash spare for it then I'd highly recommend it, but there are *lots* of other things you can spend the same sort of wedge on that might enhance the 7 experience more (and make the car faster!)...

Mine was bought direct from Stack - not sure if there are any significantly cheaper places doing them.

Incidentally - do you have an AP-22 or similar performance measuring device? Quality gadgets, good fun to play with and much cheaper than the Stack dash. Might calm the gadget urge for a while smile.gif

Thanks for the advice. I am tempted to go for some other gadgets instead - I've fancied a performance testing gizmo for a while (AP-22, G-Tech Pro, any preferences/experiences?), and will probably get some extra change up lights (ACES or Webcon, preferences?), in addition to a new set of wheels for track days.

I have seen a similar bit of kit in the Hein-Gericke (Motorcycle Parts) catalogue recently,the price was wrong though (said £34 or something like that) but without calling them up I couldn't say (maybe £234 or £334),quite small,digital speed (mph/kph)bar graph tacho,variable shift light and red line,left/right arrows,main beam,oil,0-100 timer (kph so will be about 60mph)and lots more...only thing was it had a neutral light but I'm sure that could be used for something else

I would thoroughly endorse the STACK unit, especially if your a tall git like me, it proves a good reference point for performance gives pek values, manual lap times etc.

It is costly, but it proved invaluable in enabling me to see the instruments.

James

• 2 weeks later...

Clarkey,

I've recently bought an alternative to a Stack system. It's a datalogger from a kart called the MyChron Pro. it comprises an LCD display that shows revs, speed and two temperatures, five sequential shift lights and two over temp lights. It logs for 62 minutes (you can extend this if you lower the sampling rate), records lap-times (beacon supplied) and calculate track maps (sprints and circuits).

The unit is not as sexy looking as a Pi or Stack, however, it's a quarter of the price (£500). The software is excellent, allowing you to calculate all the usual beardage things (linear g, gears, wheelspin, horsepower etc.), the only limitation is the inputs (speed, rpm, two temps, lateral g, ie. no throttle/steering position sensor).

I'm currently constructing a web-page about it but if you would like more info feel free to email me, I can put you in contact with the importers and send you samples of the data I gathered at Donnington on Monday.

Cheers,

Graeme.

graeme finlayson / tyre warmer / fluke motorsport

graeme.finlayson@vicorp.com / www.fluke-motorsport.co.uk

I'm really impressed with the info Graeme has sent me - the Mychron Pro look really powerful, software is good too.

It's a pity I've just bought an AP-22 gizmo, otherwise I'd go for. Unless anyone is tempted to buy a barely used AP-22 that is, fresh from recording a 4.07 second 0-60 time....I need more beardy-type gadgets.