Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Camcorders on Sevens

Steve Fleming

I am looking for the easiest and safest way (and not too expensive)of attaching a camcorder to a Seven.

Position: on the roll bar would seem the best bet, thus capturing the images of the road ahead, the instruments and steering wheel, and gearchanges etc.

Method: elastic bungees are definitely out - I would'nt want to do it, and scrutineers for both sprints and track days won't let you anyway. Would prefer some type of proprietary, ready made 'box' which can be clamped to the roll bar.

So, any suggestions for a secure attachment method that also protects the camcorder from a potential 125 mph airstream?

Steve

Steve

I'm busy making one at the moment. Basically, I am making a bracket that will hang from the horizontal bar and attach to a (decent) quick release tripod mount. It shouldn't cost much more than £10 to make, and if mine works, I will gladly make one for you or give you the details...but I will wrap a bit of tape around it just to be safe, you can't be too sure with my engineering!

Off the shelf brackets are ridiculously expensive; this should be sturdy enough as the bracket will be very short and stiff.

For sound, I'll be running a cheap tie clip mike to the passenger footwell. It sounds OK so far, not bad for £4.95.

I'll let you know how it goes in a week or two, but if I forget, drop me an email at stephen.clarke@sage.com

I made a small bracket for a digital sony video camera the one that is the size of a couple of fag packets.

Using a piece f angle aly drilled and bolted through the hole for the petty bar (fia roll bar only) but a simple exhaust clamp system would work as well,

To this I have fitted an adjustble knuckle that I got from a camera shop.

Every time that I fit the camera to the car I always add a cable tie to the hand strap in case it winds itself of.

Keith Pickering

superlight T7 KCP

Dream on. If you like I'll drive my wife's 1.1 106 down again and give you a chance. The only thing your good at is going round in circles. Now I have the LSD fitted we must try some synchronised doughnuts. Maybe when you get the old K upgraded you will just be able to keep me in sight. See you there.

Steve

I just bought the 9 hr bat pack for my camcorder so I'll be stopping in GACE to change tapes.....

Should be a good laugh......

Just hope we dont see the Cerbera, F40, MCL F1 which went down in '97 I think.... must have gone past me at about 180mph!

Arnie Webb

Organiser- L7C Le Mans Trip

To book for this years Le Mans Trip see The Le Mans Trip Website

It really is very very very very full now!!!

FYI scrutineers have insisted on my camcorder having tie wraps in addition to being mounted on a tripod mount. The tripod mount is not designed to take the strain of an ..err... incident and the last thing you want is a camera flying off and hitting you.

Not sure if the regs have any wise words.

Edited by - minty on 8 Feb 2001 18:05:51

Thanks to all for suggestions and in particular to those who offered to make one for me!

A couple of points still worry me:

1. Presumably if the camera 'hangs' below the level of the top strut of an FIA roll bar then it is out of the airstream and will not require any separate protection? I don't fancy a stone going through my grand's worth of camcorder!

2. How 'vibration proof' will the fixings be? The Caterham is in any case full of vibrations, and I don't mind if the camcorder vibrates in harmony so to speak, but too much vibration will result in worthless images.

Steve

I hadn't really thought about extra protection, but you'd be really, really unlucky to have the lense hit by a stone, especially hanging from the bar. I always fit a UV filter to all cameras, as it is far cheaper to replace than a lense in any case.

I've never noticed vibration to be much of a problem - this is partly due to modern camcorders reducing a lot of shake and vibration on their own. I own a digital Panasonic and have never noticed any vibration from hours of footage mounted on tripod in the back of an Impreza, held steady with rear belts and a bungee.

On the 7, keep the bracket as short and stiff as possible, and wrap tape or some rubber (maybe part of an old inner tube) around the roll bar before you mount it. You shouldn't have any problems.

I hadn't really thought about extra protection, but you'd be really, really unlucky to have the lense hit by a stone, especially hanging from the bar. I always fit a UV filter to all cameras, as it is far cheaper to replace than a lense in any case.

I've never noticed vibration to be much of a problem - this is partly due to modern camcorders reducing a lot of shake and vibration on their own. I own a digital Panasonic and have never noticed any vibration from hours of footage mounted on tripod in the back of an Impreza, held steady with rear belts and a bungee.

On the 7, keep the bracket as short and stiff as possible, and wrap tape or some rubber (maybe part of an old inner tube) around the roll bar before you mount it. You shouldn't have any problems.

I have had no issue with vibration. Be aware that with the camera mounted too low you do not get a good perception of the road ahead, and if you have a screen, see over it.

All the bits I have are marked "Made in Italy" and are manufactured by Manfrotto.

The two pieces require a small amount of engineeering skill to fix them together, bit its pretty simple to do this. If you have access to machine tools you could machine some alloy fittings which would give you correction for the diagnol angle in the roll bar, thus giving a central drivers eye kind of shot, or with a 90 degree angle you could mount the camera above the drivers right shoulder.

The bracket I have has two jaws which grip around the roll bar, tightened by a single screw on the rear. The jaws are rubber lined as not to damage the roll bar. It has a part number #035 on it. Its available from Jessops web site (www.jessops.co.uk) for £23.95 (search in the tripod accesories section)

To the top of the braket is screwed another bit of equipment comprising two plates with a quick release mechanism. The total distance from the top surface of tye roll bar to the underside of teh camera is about 35mm. It has a part number #354 on it. Its available from Jessops web site (www.jessops.co.uk) for £23.95 (Search in the quick release platforms section)

The reason I've gone to such lengths to get this info is because this setup works absolutely.

PS. If you are worried about damage to your camera, stick some gaffa tape on it to soften the blow and add a polariser filter on the lens. To date I have not had any damage occur to my camera.

Enjoy!

Arnie Webb

The Fat Bloke blush.gif in a Slow Old Vauxhall wink.gif

I'd like to get video footage of my limited driving abilities, and was wondering if anyone out there could suggest a suitable camcorder.

Ideally I'd like quite a small one (makes a change Anna!), and want to be able to transfer it directly onto a PC.

Any suggestions or help would be most gratefully received.

Thanks.

Paul.

Paul,

Panasonic DV cameras seem to work very well, although I am sure other makes do also. I have used a NV DS77 Panasonic and got amazing results.....

To connect it to your PC best option is a Firewire (AKA 1394) card available form PC World and the like for about £99. Capture in MPEG 2 and your video's are as good as the original footage. Be aware however you need at least a Pentium 3 with 128 meg of ram, PLUS a separate physical disk drive for the video capture files (otherwise playback will be jerky!) Video Capture in decent quality can use up to 80mb per minute before its rendered into MPEG so be aware the drive need be large. Western Digital do some 30Gb ultra IDE drives for around £200 which work fine.

Arnie Webb

The Fat Bloke blush.gif in a Slow Old Vauxhall wink.gif