Click here if you are having website access problems ×

I'm losing the plot!!!!

peewee7

• Area Representative

Now then Blatters!!!! Cos you sure aint chatters……..I have been sat close to tears now for over a week. I have expended all my avenues and still no starting the dam thing. Caterham have sent the new ECU and immobiliser no joy. I have tried the fuel inertia re-set, no Joy. I’ve had the battery checked and fully charged, no joy. I’ve checked the ECU and Fuel pump fuse, no joy. I’ve just been trying the fuel option; yes there is some in the tank. I’ve removed the fuel pipe from the front (nose cone end) taken off the air filter and started to turn her over; no fuel, is there another way to check for fuel? Any other checks I could carry out? So even if you gust say, “don’t cry” please help me in my hour’s of need before the car goes to Dartford for a week or two… cheer’s mine’s a large one, hell make it a double

pee wee

• Area Representative

Cheer's Arnie, I'm off to the curry house for a take out and will sit in the garage pondering the meaning of life. Will also check your suggestion. Must be sad I'm sat here waiting for replies... *confused*

pee wee

Can you hear the fuel pump when the ignition is first turned on?

Are the spark plugs getting wet?

You could take the fuel feed pipe leading to the injectors off to check for fuel, but you'll need a large container to catch the fuel in.

Is there any votage on the leads going to the fuel pump?

Regards

Allen

Don't kwy Pete ☹️

At least you've got a real 7, I've only got a 1/12th scale one and it's slowly dawning on me that I'm not going to be able to get in it and drive off into the sunset once it's finished, boohoo...

Allen,

The fuel pump drive is likley provided subject to a crank signal, so your suggestion can lead to a red herring..... It led to a red herring on the occaision I discovered the possibility to confuse the coil and crank sensor cables.

Pete, You may also find something interesting at www.the-webbs.com/mbe.jpg

Fat Arn

Visit the K2 RUM website

See the Lotus Seven Club 4 Counties Area Website here

Edited by - Fat Arnie on 23 May 2003 21:26:16

Bert:.. was in a toy shop the other day and saw the Tamiya 1:12 scale 7 plastic Kit.. Yikes!! For that price you could go to Cat and RENT a 7 for a couple of days .. at least... lots more fun than gluing little plastic bits together.

I had a k series EU2 starting prob that was hard to track down. Eventually turned out to be the Multi-Function Unit (MFU). It's the little black box with a slanty top near/under the ECU. Have Caterham sent you a new one of those to try with the ECU?

Graham

Well, that's really funny [as in a peculiar coincidence] I'm pretty well in the same boat. I've been struggling to find the reason that I can't power up the fuel pump and possibly the injectors too. I've changed the ECU & immobiliser because I thought that was the trouble, [70ukp from a local breaker Arnie], but I'm still no further forward.

Please someone help Pete, then perhaps i'll find the same problem and we can get two Sevens onto the road.

Back in the fold with my new Black/Ali. 1600K Seven reg'n A7 YEP, looking good for spring take off!

Does the fuel pump prime when you turn the ignition on? Yes,then the wiring to the pump is OK. No,then there's something wrong...have you pressed the inertia switch button down?

Fuel pump working but not starting? The fuel pump primes for a few seconds on ignition turn on,but will not be started again until the ECU sees the engine rotating via a signal from the crank position sender,the ECU will not fire the injectors or the coils until it sees this signal, check connections to crank sensor and coil pack..reversed? Blue connector (at least it is on mine) goes to crank sender unit.

Take the fuel rail and injectors off the engine (keep the injectors connected to the fuel rail),put some kitchen roll under the ends of the injectors ,disconnect the coil connector..not the plug leads (so you don't get any sparks) and turn the engine over...No fuel on the kitchen roll means the ECU is not seeing the crank sender signal (if the coils were connected and you had a spark plug out and earthed you would not get a spark either)

Try swapping the wires in the crank sender connector over,if that makes no difference,swap them back.

If this fails then something else is wrong and we'd need to think about this further...

• Area Representative
Sorry all!! Thanks for the support and advise but I'm spent! Stil no joy *confused* The car will have to depart for Dartford. Thank's again Pee Wee..

Oh the joy of a ratty old x-flow with carbs, a mechanical fuel pump, (well a Facet really), and real old points in the dizzy, (well Lumenition really), so simple, so pure, ahhhhh, don't you just hate it when this happens, bye, I'm off to drive my old dunger, have fun, Nigel.

1982. 5 speed, clamshells. B.R.G / Ali. The True Colours.

I think it is a bit of a worry that several people have been on Blatchat recently with these sort of problems, Caterham either need to examine the integrity of their wiring looms and or diagrams, and perhaps thoroughly cover this area in the manual. I know from personal experience how dispiriting it is to shell out loads of money on a new car, only to discover you cannot get the blasted thing to start.

• Area Representative

Nigel,

Cheers for that, to tell you the truth I think I'll be better off with my 1:18th JPE and a few beers.....Pee Wee

Talking of Caterham and looms check out the regs for the SLR race series for 2003. They recommend changing the engine wiring loom at least once a season..... There must be some seriously stressed components in there if it needs changing this often!! Bet Rover don't change the looms on the MGZR once a year so whats different about our (well yours actually, mines got a reliable Vauxhall loom) application??

I had the same problem, If the fuel pump doesn't prime and you've checked the inertia switch, look at the wiring to the fuel pump, in my case Caterham Midlands had connected the fuel pump power supply to the rear hazard light when reconnecting the light after spraying the car... I discvered this when checking the lights ( having given up on the engine) and found that the fuel pump primed when the rear hazard light was switched on *confused*

A bit off the wall I admit , but worth mentioning

Dave Jackson

British Racing Green and Yellow Nose The only way to low fly 😬

• Area Representative
That's it then! I'm off out to the garage to throw every "bleeden" switch before I throw the "bleeden" Caterham *mad* After a long conversation with the spider in the corner of the garage we've decided that the fuel pump isn’t priming. Hopefully Caterham of Dartford can collect the car in the next few days, if not then you’ll see me pushing it along the M25 to the QE Bridge from Aylesbury. I like tomato soup and I have tea with milk no sugar. I have to *smile* or I'll ☹️ Cheers all, Pee Wee.............

• Area Representative

Me and the spider were right, the nice man from Caterham he said "Mechanical problem with the fuel pump” and replaced it on the spot, so I was able to chase the sun to bed tonight. Thanks to all who dropped me a line or two. Pee Wee!

pee wee

I'm pleased that it was nothing serious then Pete. Sadly mine isn't going to be so easy. I have verified that my fuel pump is working by taking a direct feed to it, but the enigne still won't make the right noises. back to the drawing board then................. *confused*

Back in the fold with my new Black/Ali. 1600K Seven reg'n A7 YEP, looking good for spring take off!