Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Rover four year coolant

John Howe

The local Rover agency in Lindfield was asked to supply a 25l contain of Rover four year coolant... three days later they phoned to advise me that Rover no longer produced the coolant.

Can anyone confirm this statement... if true, does anyone know a garage in Suusex that still holds stock?

JH

Deliveries by Saffron, *thumbup* the yellow 222bhp Sausage delivery machine

I am experiencing the same in France. My container was supposed to arrive at the Les Mureaux Rover dealer on Wednesday. It did not. I was told that it may be there on Friday. But now I understand from what you write that it may not ne available anymore.

Peter C. What should we do Sir? OAT ethylene glycol? I have now an ali radiator that may cope with it.

Cheers

Pierre

Mercedes,audi/vw is pretty darn good coolant by all reports..

Rover I'm always suspicious of :-)

Honda is excellent and would be Ideal if it's Available in your part of the World.

I noticed OAT 4 year coolant in my Rover parts dept the otherday. When & under what circumstances can it be used?

Bare - 'Rover I am always supsicious of' - explain yourself. Coolant is coolant. VW's coolant is not better/nor worse than Unipart. I presume your assumption is based on the failure of rover engines relative to other marques. The coolant 'type' is not the problem. The sandwich eng structure manufactured in aluminum manifests an extremely heat senstive eng. Plus on the rover 'tin top' the coolant rail runs round the back of the engine. It is prone to corrosion leading to head gasket failure. If people kept there cars reguarily serviced a 'good' Rover dealer would attend to this at each main service.

JLZ7447

1.6K this week

I noticed OAT 4 year coolant in my Rover parts dept the otherday. When & under what circumstances can it be used?

Bare - 'Rover I am always supsicious of' - explain yourself. Coolant is coolant. VW's coolant is not better/nor worse than Unipart. I presume your assumption is based on the failure of rover engines relative to other marques. The coolant 'type' is not the problem. The sandwich eng structure manufactured in aluminum manifests an extremely heat senstive eng. Plus on the rover 'tin top' the coolant rail runs round the back of the engine. It is prone to corrosion leading to head gasket failure. If people kept there cars reguarily serviced a 'good' Rover dealer would attend to this at each main service.

JLZ7447

1.6K this week

I bought some Rover 3 year anti-freeze because that's all they could offer me so I thought well what's a year between friends and I was desperate to get the engine running after changing the clutch.

No doubt somebody is going to tell me that my engine will be trashed in 3 months time.

Well firstly coolant is Not just Coolant.. there IS a significant difference.

Mercedes coolant is V goos pricey tho, Audi/vw is almost as good but only marginally cheaper. Honda coolant is proving itself to be Mercedes equal.. especially in an all Alloy engine..it has no boro silicates whatsoever and is surprisingly long lived. The rear water rail is a trademark Honda design.. and here in N. Am.. it cause's NO problems whatsoever on their designs/products which number in the millions.. which incidentally are what the Rovers are 'loosely" based on. Years ago, Rover, rather than "rebadge" the Honda Legend, chose to produce the "Sterling".. using the shipped directly from Honda Japan, Legend engine/drivetrain units..they somehow made them problematic and unreliable, by the supposedly simple act of uncrating and installing these units into a "Rover" assembled car... it boggles the imagination. The reputation is earned and well desrved, at least on this side of the Atlantic

Honda used to have an "association" with Rover of about 10 years.. untill it was 'sold on' (some claim in absolute Disgust)..to the poor sods at BMW..a purchase they apparently regret.

Bare - you seem to be implying the the repuation of an engines longevity is a product of the type of coolant. WRONG. The 827 Sterling powertrain with the Honda engine was not problematic - fair enough the rest of the car fell apart around it - I accept. The honda engines in the old Rover 214/216 proved exceptionally reliable - I can only presume these used Unipart coolant.

The only need for an engine to have longer life coolant is if you ignore routine maintenance tasks. For those who are continually working at their engines - the coolant is regularily flushed and changed. A process that removes sludge for the system and may faciltitate eng longlevity.

I have sinse been told that OAT will only work in eng/ccessories that have no copper content as it is corrosive - check heater/rad.

JLZ7447

1.6K this week

Bare - you seem to be implying the the repuation of an engines longevity is a product of the type of coolant. WRONG. The 827 Sterling powertrain with the Honda engine was not problematic - fair enough the rest of the car fell apart around it - I accept. The honda engines in the old Rover 214/216 proved exceptionally reliable - I can only presume these used Unipart coolant.

The only need for an engine to have longer life coolant is if you ignore routine maintenance tasks. For those who are continually working at their engines - the coolant is regularily flushed and changed. A process that removes sludge for the system and may faciltitate eng longlevity.

I have sinse been told that OAT will only work in eng/ccessories that have no copper content as it is corrosive - check heater/rad.

JLZ7447

1.6K this week