Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Novice question - Xflow oil

steffan j granger

well here we go, a total novice with the first of many novice questions!

I've had my 7 for a year now and I'm just about to do my first service. Someone suggestion that I should NOT use synthetic oil in my XFlow. Bearing in mind it has been run on synthetic since it was reconditioned just before I got it, should I heed this advise and return to the ordinary stuff?

Also, can I have a little advise on timing? It has a high lift cam (was that at 244 or 944?), sports exhaust and twin 40 webbers.

Many thanks in anticipation.

D997 TGO

As I understand it, it's not a good idea to use fully synth and then go back to a mineral or part synth oil.

I've run my XFlow on Mobil 1 Motorsport, as recommended by Roger King, and seem to have good oil pressure. I also change my oil a lot more often than once a year, but I just like knowing that it's clean stuff in there.

The Mobil 1 motorsport oil is a 15w/50 whereas normal Mobil 1 is a 0w40 (unless it's changed?). When you were told not to use synthetic oil, I guess they meant a 0w oil or similar?

Take a look at the engine oil bible here

Den

😬 - Self portrait - still unable to remove the smile!

Edited by - Dirty Den on 16 Apr 2003 22:28:14

The advice you got was right - generally speaking you shouldn't use a synthetic oil in a standard crossflow. The crossflow is a 40 year old engine design - from way before synthetic oils had even been dreamt of! On a standard crossflow a synthetic oil will inhibit the natural wear required on the engine to run it in, and will not (necessarily) give you proper seals around the pistons and other compressed parts - this engine design _requires_ a certain thickness of oil.

However, having said that, if the car is currently running synthetic oil then I probably wouldn't change back to mineral oil - I can't think of a good reason to - maybe someone else can? Especially if your engine is reconditioned - modern tolerances are a lot better than in the old days!

Den - its the other way round, going from mineral to synth can be bad as the additional thin-ness of synthetic oil can wash hardened mineral deposits around the engine and clog things up.

Hope that helps...

Roger.

Hi Roger -

going from mineral to synth can be bad as the additional thin-ness of synthetic oil

Hence the 'more heavy' 15w motorsport oil?

I think this is a subject that everyone has their own opinion on and everyone will make their own choice. All I know is that I've not had any oil pressure problems (quite the opposite) and Mobil1 Motorsport was recommended as the oil to use on a xflow.

Steffan - there's bound to be a number of threads in the archives somewhere and I'm sure someone more knowledgable than me will be along shortly... *wink*

Den

😬 - Self portrait - still unable to remove the smile!

Oil is a Religious topic :-).

Best and only reason IMHO to use Synth is it's superior Heat tolerance, if you are having a persistent heat problem.. Synth is yer Friend, if not Save your $$$, buy the cheaper stuff AND change the oil far more frequently.

*confused*Synth has a lower heat capacity than mineral oil. The XFlow is not very demanding on oil, so you are OK with either, although you should steer clear of the cheap stuff as it won have a decent additive package. It also runs quite happily on a modern thin 40 grade oil, you just have to come to terms with the lower oil pressure at idle.

You can't run an engine in on synthetic oil, I know 'cos I tried ☹️ Apart from that, my XFlow is v happy on Mobil 1. If you always use a quality oil, your engine should never develop any sludge and you shouldn't have problems changing between oils.

*biggrin* 100,016 *biggrin*miles so far

I also use Mobil 1 15/50 on my X flow. RK breathed on it a while ago and on his advice I changed to the aformentioned product. Change it twice a year or more if I indulge in a track day.

Run Baby Run *eek*

does it really have anything less than full throttle

Just because a basic engine design is forty years old, doesn't mean that it won't benefit from modern synthetics. If the engine has been rebuilt well with a modern plateau finished bore, forged pistons with modern rings and modern seals then the age of the basic design is irrelevant. I accept that very old designs with splash lubrication, etc, may be a different case.

If your engine has always been run on synthetic, stick to it. It potentially lasts longer (although we would recommend a change once a year for a road car), doesn't sludge up and it doesn't leave nearly so many gummy deposits - oh and it lubricates quite well too.

I personally run a Ford Ka which has an engine of similar (but not identical) design to the Crossflow. From 500 miles it has run on synthetic oil and so far, at 115,000 miles, it has never used any oil at all so far as I can see on the dipstick.