Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Turn indicators not working

TomGaval

Weather finally warmed up and I was able to take the se7en out for a nice blat for the first time since November. *eek* Started right up, ran great, but, the turn signals now do not work. They worked fine the last time I had it out. Any ideas where to start looking? *confused* Thanks in advance. Tom

What 7 version? On my crossflow there is a junction box taped to the upper chassis just inboard of the front wheel. It is a rubber block and the end terminals just push into it. I had the same problem as you, and found that it was just a bad fit into the box. You will need to check the wiring diagram to pick out the right couloured wire.

Terry

Trying to get out of the garage

I had this on my 1.4 kss. It was a bad connection to the ind relay which is under the dash on the passenger side. The passenger's knees bash it regularly and loosen the connectors. It will be sth like this or corrosion of connectors. They have a bad time on 7s, exposed spades under the wheelarches don't help. Thanks caterham. *mad*

Tom

If none of the indicators are working, it's less likely to be an earth problem because the 4 indicators are individually earthed and therefore all 4 earth points would have had to corrode. Not impossible of course but unlikely.

I would suggest looking at points, that control all four indicators, which may be corroded or have a loose connection. These are:

(i) check fuse 12 (10A) which supplies power to the flasher unit.

(ii) the indicator switch itself

(iii) the flasher unit under the dash

(iv) the indicator relay under the dash

Suggest you remove the latter two and reinsert in their holders.

(v) the hazard relay and flasher relay share a common earth which bolts to a stud on the wiper motor. Check this lead (black) is OK.

What happens when you switch on the hazard switch - anything or nothing?

Hope this helps

Chris

1.8K SV 140hp see it here

If the indicators don't work but the hazards do, the problem is almost certainly in the hazard switch.

Click it on and off a few times - usually sorts it.

Also had this on two tintops in the past.

Jerry Parker

L7SVN

1.4 Supersport

Edited by - l7svn on 16 Apr 2003 09:55:48

Thanks for the replys guys. I moved this past week and am still without internet access at home. Back at work, and I'm able to check in on Blatchat. Withdrawl is painfull. Current situation, no indicators at all front or back, all lights work, when hazards switched on all indicators work. flipped hazard switch on and off several times, checked that the indicator switch terminals were tight, still no indicators. I'll check the fuse and relay tonight. Any other suggestions. *confused* Thanks, Tom

On my old Cav if the indicators packed up the cure was to turn on the hazards then pull the switch G E N T L Y out with wiggling. It would then switch off easily and the indicators would work for the next 3 months. Some of the MoT testers used to do this for me if it did it during the test... They all do that Sir.

Prob. sth. similar will fix yours. If not, new hazard switch

Tom

If the hazard function works, but the indicators don't, there can't be anything wrong with the flasher unit, the earths, the wiring to the lamps or the lamps themselves.

It clearly must be something that controls only the indicators. Therefore, it could be the hazard switch of course but I suspect the so-called "hazard relay" (as it's known in the car manual) which is actually an "indicator relay".

The relay is ON all the time the ignition is ON and supplies the power from the flasher unit to the indicators through the indicator switch. This relay is used solely to ensure the indicators are ignition dependent so they can't be accidentally left on. The hazard switch bypasses this relay in hazard mode so the ignition doesn't have to be on.

Try taking this relay out - on my K it's the second one up from the bottom - and reinserting it. If things still don't work, try taking out one of the other 2 relays - they're all the same type - (horn or headlamps but not the flasher which looks physically different to the others) and plugging it into the hazard relay slot. If things work, you've found the problem - dicky relay. Try also putting the hazard relay into the headlamp or horn slot to ensure as a further test that relay is working or not.

If the hazard relay is OK but things still don't work indicator wise, it has to be the hazard switch or the indicator switch. Bridging the contacts on the indicator switch with a screwdriver blade (centre contact to one of the outside contacts) will tell you if the switch is malfunctioning or not.

Can you swop out the hazard switch with anyone just to try it? Or you can also test the hazard switch in isolation - see my post today to Mike E's "Hazard warning light toggle switch" query.

Basically it's just a question of applying good engineering logic and eliminating the offending beast by substitution or test.

good luck

Chris

• Leadership Team

When this problem occurs it is most often caused by the hazard switch. Rather than flicking the hazards on/off, quite firmly push the switch in (or into) the off position - usually sorts the problem. Mine cut out everytime the hazard switch is used - the return mustn't be very positive.

Stu.

Chris and Stu, I'll work on it tonite when I get home. I know its been said before, but this site has to be THE BEST interms of responsiveness, and competency of the the posters. I like most of you found the build manual lacking. But with the help of alot of fellow blatchatters, I got the beast built and running, and terrorizing the neighborhood. I made it to Stoneleigh & Cadwell last year. Can't this year. Will in 04. *wink* Thanks again. Tom

None of us can be that definitive............

It'll turn out to be what it turns out to be............ all we can do is carry out the right tests to identify the problem.... and fix it... hopefully in a way that it doesn't re-occur..... too soon.

I prefer to go through things methodically and logically where car electrics are concerned. Otherwise, we accidentally fix the problem and don't really understand why it suddenly starts working again cos we're aren't sure what we were wiggling at the time.

Chris