Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Maximum weight in boot

Paul D

Had a search but couldn't find an answer so...

What would people consider the maximum safe weight to hold in the boot of a seven? 20kg? 25kg? If spread and not point-loaded?

Car is a 2008 metric chassis Roadsport if that makes any difference (just in case the superlights had paper thin boot linings).

I need to transport my pile of gold bars incognito. 😉

• Haha 2

Well, if very evenly spread I would say 20kg.

The honeycomb bit above the tank on my 2024 420R would take a bit, but it still rests on a flimsy folded bar, and the other half of the boot is a bit of thin wood.

I would not go more than 20kg personally.

Being in the boot space doesn't have to mean carrying the weight through the boot floor. And there are some seriously strong points nearby...

... you're going to have to tell us what it is!  : - )

Jonathan

maxresdefault.jpg

• Haha 1

I,d probably have to agree with Ainsley. I wouldn't feel comfortable putting more than 20-25kgs in the boot. Its one thing being able to hold it while the car is stationary, its another asking it to sustain the load and then the additional momentum once it gets lifted slightly and then falls again after going over an unexpected bump on your journey. It could end up being the equivalent to 30-35kgs or more. 

Edited by PlastererPete

We ran the Canadian Nationals autoslalom in 2015 where we needed ballast to stay above the minimum weight. Had a 25kg tool set in the boot strapped down with no ill effect with the car on slicks at maximum attack (at least my son had it flat out, winning the open class, I was somewhat slower). I would say higher than 25kg shouldn't be a problem, as long as the total payload isn't above the 300kg limit.

Gold bars are very dense, you might want to consider a frame to spread the weight evenly & secure them.

Don't forget to uprate the springs so the police don't get suspicious with the car doing wheelies