Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Rear wing & led lights question

Ainsley

My 420R comes with the nice new LED rear lights.

The hole in the rear wing is quite large allowing me to pass the wires and the connector through all fine.

But once all done up and connected, you are left with a big hole in the wing that would mean crap fills up the space between the wing and the rear light.

Is there not meant to be a large grommet covering that hole ?  There is no mention of this in the instructions, see below:

image.png.9a852a89587b90cf2d6c9e09eaa72dbc.png

According to Caterham, you only need a grommet on the inside wing - was always thus (well, since 2013 when I built my car).

As above, many of us disagree and add another one (or an equivalent) to the rear wing too.

If it helps somewhere ScottR400D posted about using blind rubber grommets. You can either de-pin the connector and slide it over the cable or simply cut the grommet and then fit it. I purchased some the size he suggested but to be honest have not as yet fitted them. I’ve tried to find an invoice for them regarding the size required but no luck as yet although I’m fairly sure there were some on eBay the correct size. I’m sure Scott will be along soon to give advice on sizes etc. In the meantime I’m going to have a rummage around to try and find an invoice.

I used these when I fitted mine, they are a 35mm, I cut a small hole in the centre and a slit from the Outside to the middle allowing me to slip it over the loom. I also added some self amalgamating tape around the loom and connector to help prevent wheel arch muck ingress. 

Yes, I got those exact grommets, depinned the connectors, punched a hole in the grommets, fed the cable through and refitted the connector. Worked well. 

I too was unhappy with leaving a huge hole to fill with crap.