Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Clutch Arm Pivot - Ford Type 9

Can anyone offer some guidance here - looking to replace the clutch arm pivot in my Type 9 gearbox housing after rebuild but the part supplied by redline and available on the Caterham Parts / Burton Power websites are a different design.

The replacement parts supplied don’t appear interchangeable as it is a different diameter, the current one also appears a better design if I can source.

I assume mine is worn and needs replacing, can anyone point me in the direction?

IMG_0852.jpeg.42d7e684cedf19d0b96d7b7958617451.jpegIMG_0853.jpeg.a62ccded1897e4abfb561525bce5d497.jpeg

That’s the same part I’ve seen on any caterham bellhousing I’ve had looking at it. Looks like the one I got in the bellhousing direct from Titan one time and they supplied the factory 

I’m sure the build manual said to slip a bit of washer tube over it to help with rattles?! 

Interestingly, my build manual shows a thicker version for the 6 speed box which is no longer to be found anywhere (I posted about this a few years ago). Anyway, the 6sp works fine with the above style pivot.

Ian

2 hours ago, Wrightpayne said:

I’m sure the build manual said to slip a bit of washer tube over it to help with rattles?! 

Interestingly, my build manual shows a thicker version for the 6 speed box which is no longer to be found anywhere (I posted about this a few years ago). Anyway, the 6sp works fine with the above style pivot.

Feels as if it needs someone to write a Guide...

Jonathan

9 hours ago, Wrightpayne said:

Ian

The Assembly Guide (Nov 1996) for my old 1999 1.8K shows this for the pivot pin and sleeve (5/6-speed box):

Fordclutchforkandpivotpin.jpg.cbb324cfef6b7b378f9d328ca5295aba.jpg

JV

Mine needed replacement too and I couldn't find one anywhere.

I took the bell housing to my local agricultural engineers/machine shop and they extracted the old one and made a new one and fitted it for the price of a few beers. 

I replaced mine with this from Burton and is great but a bit tricky calculating the spacers. I put a hole in the top of the bellhousing for bleeding pipe and made a plate up to cover the side where the arm normally goes with for tapped holes in the bell housing for caphead screws. I got custom hoses made up at Merlin Motorsport as the normal ones from Burton didn't come with a banjo connector for the girling master cyclinder I also got from Burton.

https://www.burtonpower.com/hydraulic-clutch-cylinder-nose-apc5.html

Edited by NoisyBDR

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone drilled through the pivot pin hole and and installed an adjustable height pivot bolt?

I've heard of this but forgot what problem it was a solution for.

It does have the benefit of not ejecting.

Edited by Iamscotticus