Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Tyre pressures for IVA

BJH_360S

I am preparing for my IVA. One of the build blogs strongly suggests changing the brake bias by raising the front tyre pressure to 40psi and reducing the rears to 20psi. Is this standard practice?

I will be driving 60 miles to the IVA so that should give me opportunity to bed in the brake pads. I would have thought that this tyre pressure jiggery-pokery was unnecessary but what is your experience?

• Area Representative

Could be an interesting drive with that pressure imbalance. 

Not standard practice as far as I am concerned. 18psi all round is the norm.

• Area Representative
9 minutes ago, Jonathan Kay said:

How do they test the brakes at an IVA? One end at a time?

Jonathan

At Gillingham it was one end then the other.

At the Yeading test centre for mine, they said they couldn’t use the rollers as the sump would ground getting the car on, so they “road” tested it - and identified that the rears locked-up first. 

20 hours ago, BigCol said:

so they “road” tested it - and identified that the rears locked-up first. 

My understanding is that the pressure imbalance is aimed at ensuring that the front locks up first. Was your road test a problem at the IVA?

I think the LSD means they can't test the brakes properly on the rollers so at my IVA they did a test by blatting it around the yard and getting the fronts to lock. They used a decelerometer device in the car. I turned up with 18psi all around and it worked fine. The handbrake was a bit marginal though and after 3 years it only just scraped through it's first MOT too. Worth bedding in the rears with a few handbrake runs on the way to the test I reckon

2 hours ago, SM25T said:

I wouldn't like to drive it on the road with 40/20 pressures !!

Yes, that was my thinking. I think I will stick with 18psi all round. If it is unsafe for some reason then that is good to know.