Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Magnetic diff plug

Doc007

Does anyone know if this magnetic diff plug (Gold Plug Magnetic Plug M22 x1.5 AP22) will fit a BMW diff plug? The one that comes with the diff has a tiny O-ring and the Gold one just has a washer? With the replacement plug would the washer need to be replaced each time it is undone?

IMG_0169.png

IMG_0170.jpeg

That’s the right plug, I don’t bother with a new washer each time I check and wipe. It nips up quite nicely.

You will need a 1” socket or spanner. They are advertised at 26mm but they aren’t.. because they’re from the US. 

22daz

• Area Representative

As I stated further up the page a degree of 'intelligent grunt' is required on the mag plug to prevent a weep. I recently removed my Gold plug which has been fitted for some four years & the aluminium washer shows no wear or the groove that copper washers have after several removals/refits.

If the BMW back plate has the plug mounted at a downward angle it will be appropriate to file down at least two flats to avoid the De dion striking the plug. Otherwise leakage will occur ! 

Best thing is to offer up the plug, tighten correctly then check & mark exactly which flats require adjustment. My diff has the angled fitment so two flats were chamfered to about half their thickness to avoid axle contact.

• 4 weeks later...

I have one of these which I got from Amazon: “Gold Plug AP-22 Magnetic Sump Plug Oil Drain Bolt”

@Jonathan Kay guess part number is AP-22

Editted to add, just realised Jonathon was asking Graeme what he bought!  🤦🏻‍♂️

Edited by BigCol