Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Half Hood and Hood Sticks

Britspud

Hi All - hope you're enjoying your weekends 🙂 

So I recently did the sensible thing and ordered a half hood for my 360R SV...trouble is, having fitted the side straps to the bolt described in the instructions (roll bar top bolt I think) the hood sticks no longer sit flush enough to easily re-attach the boot cover. The hood sticks are slightly raised now because the bolt they rest on at the roll bar end is higher due to the half hood strap now also being on the thread.

I thought you could retain those to leave the option of half hood or full hood. I don't really want to remove the hood sticks and loose that option. Is this normal? Or have I done something wrong? Or is it a known thing, hopefully with a fix?

Thanks all,

J.

Posted (edited)

Hi Jonathan...thanks for replying. It's the Caterham one....so Oxford/Thunder etc. I can't take a pic of mine as I'm away...but I've stolen a pic from CTRMint's blog...

His hood stick arrangement looks different from mine...mine's a new 360R SV (I'm still building it)and that bit of the inner hood stick comes down on top of that bolt. Thus the extra height caused by the half hoot 'loop' means the sticks don't fold down completely. My hood sticks came installed from the factory...I'm beginning to suspect they're not right in their placement...

Cheers,

J.

image.png.359b8a2933b9c799a1335126839e808a.png

Edited by Britspud

I got a half hood 7 years ago. Removed the hoodsticks a couple of months ago as I hadn’t used the full hood in…7 years. Completely understand your reservations about doing away with the option to have a full hood but there’s a good chance that in about….7 years you’ll get rid of yours too.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 7Up said:

On removing the hood sticks, are you left with excess space under the boot cover?

Yes. So I replaced the boot cover. I hear that some use pipe lagging to take up the space.

Hi Tim - yes well this has perplexed me also. Obviously lots of people have these half hoods and I imagine many want to keep the hood sticks as well to leave the full hood option...after all, if you get caught out in a real rain storm the half hood won't be ideal. It sounds though like there's something wrong with mine...probably caused by me!! 😉

Hi Britspud, Yep I think you have the same issue I experienced when fitting my half hood.  If it is then it's easily resolved; remove the spring washer and replace with a thin flat SS washer.  Put the hex bolt in your spare bolt tin and fit a nice SS button head bolt.  Worked perfect for me. 🙂👍

2024-03-05-16-59-18-860.jpg

On 05/03/2024 at 17:05, Landy said:

Hi Britspud, Yep I think you have the same issue I experienced when fitting my half hood.  If it is then it's easily resolved; remove the spring washer and replace with a thin flat SS washer.  Put the hex bolt in your spare bolt tin and fit a nice SS button head bolt.  Worked perfect for me. 🙂👍

2024-03-05-16-59-18-860.jpg

Yours even looks like the same colour as mine!! Volcano? 😉 

On 04/03/2024 at 03:16, Doc007 said:

Yes. So I replaced the boot cover. I hear that some use pipe lagging to take up the space.

That’ll be me!  *byebye*

The lagging takes up the space that the hood sticks previously occupied and with them gone, you’re adding lightness!

Hi, I picked up my car yesterday and had a quick look at fitting my Caterham half-hood. Of course, I've got no instructions with mine 🤪.

However I found this thread on BC which has a pdf half way down: It sounds like you have worked it out but here is a fitting guide that I didn't have: Caterham Half Hood Fitting Guide.pdf

I'm linking it here in case it's of use to anyone who comes across this thread. 

I'll have a go soon, but I'm waiting for a rainy day 😁.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi

I have a SBF7 rear boot cover in mohair, slimline no sticks version. I like the look of this a lot more than the standard boot cover. I doubt I will be fitting my full hood on ever again, 1/2 hood is fine for me.

J