Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Swapping Diffs

CtrMint

1 hour ago, CtrMint said:

WRT to replace the bolt, I can see they're caphead M10x20, grade 12.9,  I assume any bolt with CoC meeting the spec will be acceptable?

The Assembly Guide used to describe them as "special blue bolts". I don't know the correct specification.

Jonathan

Mine had Loctite on and I just used a medium length 3/8 breaker bar attached to a socket and they came loose.  

Mine had hex bolts... as have all 4 of the Caterhams I've owned. I've not seen one with cap head bolts before, but the head type isn't the important thing, it's the grade as you have stated. 

My 2012 R400 also had cap head bolts. This is the current Caterham part: https://caterhamparts.co.uk/propshaft/651-setscrew-m10x1-caphead-propshaft-to-differential.html

The ‘blue bolts’ label may be due to having medium strength thread locker on the bolts. I just clean the removed bolt threads and re-apply some more thread locker, no need for replacement bolts, as they aren’t stretch bolts going by the torque of 74Nm in the assembly guide (I’ve also seen 60Nm quoted). An M10x1 12.9 bolt can take a torque of 95Nm before it enters the plastic zone for stretch-bolt single use purposes.

It's out 🙌

I'm not sure taking it out with the dedion in place was such a clever idea.  There was a little too much contact with the dedion when trying to lift the nose of the diff and achieve the correct angle over the chassis structure at the back of the transmission tunnel. Maybe I should have removed the some of the hardware from the watts linkage etc, to provide a bit of play in the dedion.

Next up is that pesky handbrake cable, hopefully with the diff removed I can get some mole grips on that adjuster. 

Any recommendations for getting the diff back in?  Angles etc, should I lift the nose at 45 degrees etc.

Also there's a breather pipe on the Ford diff, which is new to me, any gotchas etc with that?

Thanks

Edited by CtrMint

I left the original carrier in place and lowered the old diff out of it. I don’t remember the replacement requiring any specific angles etc for re-fitting. It just seemed to slot straight in. As you say, I wonder if the Watts linkage is restricting the space. Might be worth disconnecting it to see. 

12 hours ago, CtrMint said:

…Also there's a breather pipe on the Ford diff, which is new to me, any gotchas etc with that?

Thanks

Ford diff breather - these are very brittle and snap easily, so care on refitting the diff. They are generally unavailable, although found one on eBay. R+R can supply a re-manufactured replacement. As my car is only for track use, I attached a vertical pipe to a catch tank in the boot.

Thank you for the warning. 
As I've now 2 complete ford based diffs, if I screw up fitting one I could steal from the other 😀

Steve, don't forget this is the ford diff, so no carrier, and slightly bigger than the BMW housing on the 420R.

Last night I spent a tonne of time Googling grease for the drive shafts on the diff side.   I'm pretty sure that grease should be used during fitment, it was already on the splines and bearing surface during removal, but I can't find specs to get get things absolutely correct.

Can anyone recommend the type of grease for the splines, the bearing face (not sure if thats the correct term) and also the outer seal on the diff if required. 

Thanks

Could I possibly inquire as to how much oil the Ford diff housing needs, my Caterham manuals covers the BMW Titan setup.   Not sure if a my Drexler vs, Tracsport or Titan makes a difference.

Also this might be a silly question, but can I fill through the drive shaft openings.  I noticed when I removed the shafts with the car on stands I didn't loose any oil, though tipping the diff when removing resulted in egress.  Thus can I fill that way, it would be, I think easier and faster.  Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Mark, I did this job last year to fit a Tracsport. Other than an occasional CPW whirr under certain loads it has been superb.
Absolutely no knocking and clunking even pulling out of tight junctions.  I took the ears off the end of the Dedion and pulled the driveshafts out as a big lump leaving the Dedion ends bare. 

The propshaft bolts are thread locked in and that’s how I replaced them, but with new bolts. For me there was no chance of removing them with a socket and bar. The prop just wanted to move and I was concerned I’d just round them off making the job impossible. 

A Milwaukee impacter with a long extension to negate the angle took them off.
I think it rattles the threadlock and breaks them loose.  Quite a relief. 

22daz

I managed to drive the 620R for a few meters around the cul-de-sac today, no more than 15 to 20mph.   It was a big improvement in noise,  I didn't spot any clunks and no apparent noise from the final drive, which would have been apparent on the previous diff even at slow speeds.  So reassuring it wasn't my Sadev.  I have no idea why the final drive fitted to the Tracsport was so bad.  

The 620R is back on axles stands as I'm trying to get the Dedion properly aligned.