Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Coolant change Blue Glycol based

CtrMint

This procedure is from the internet. I have been wondering if coolant temperature would make a difference. Most probably an interesting theory (and only that!).

1. To check for electrolysis use a DVOM set on DC volts. Place the positive probe of the meter in the engine coolant and the negative probe on the negative battery post. 2. Adjust engine throttle to 2000 RPM to properly get coolant flow and true electrolysis voltages. 3. If more than .4V is recorded, flush the coolant and recheck (follow guidelines in TSB 98-23-16 for Cougar). See Coolant Fill Procedure below to remove trapped air on 4.6/5.4/6.8L modular engines. NOTE: Export markets, be sure the water is desalinated. 4. If there is still excessive voltage present in the coolant, check the engine to body/battery grounds. Also, verify proper grounding of any aftermarket electrical/electronic equipment which has been installed into the vehicle. Improperly grounded electrical devices can cause electrolysis to occur. 5. If the condition is still present after the grounds have been checked, it may be necessary to add extra grounds to the heater core and engine.

I’m about to change the thermostat in my Sigma engined 7 and renew the antifreeze.

Premier Power did some work on the engine last year and I have blue antifreeze in to protect the new Radtec radiator. My thinking was I’ll change like for like, but standard Bluecol is no longer readily available. This was recommended to me Bluecol OE48 Hybrid Organic Acid Technology as the replacement. I’m wondering what’s the difference to OAT?

As I use my car throughout winter, only being parked up if there is salt on the roads, could I go back to the OAT antifreeze Caterham recommend?

22 hours ago, Stu Smith said:

This was recommended to me Bluecol OE48 Hybrid Organic Acid Technology as the replacement. I’m wondering what’s the difference to OAT?

The HOAT coolant contains an inorganic additive, such as silicate(s), as well as organic acids (or salts thereof).  There's a useful summary here.

JV

• Like 1