Click here if you are having website access problems ×

How long could / would it take to build a 7

Ainsley

I had very little relevant experience. It took me five weeks of evenings and weekends.

Missing parts can be a big problem.

Please let me know if you'd like an Assembly Guide.

Jonathan

PS: This used to be a party-piece at motor shows and similar: but was it 12h or 24h?

Edited by Jonathan Kay

I guess it depends on how much you want to enjoy the process and agonise over details. I took just under 120 hours total to build mine. Could've done it quicker but I enjoyed all of it. I built it with my 12 year old son over a period of 3 months and it was wonderful! All of it is doable on your own apart from when putting the engine in. Also really good to have some help for the diff too if you can. Enjoy yourself!!

I took between 100 and 120 hours about ten years ago though that included fitting the weather gear that a. I never used and b. is fitted at the factory these days I believe.

My modus operandi were contrary to the norm and how you suggest - I only worked the garage when the Speedlimiter was out of the house which at the time was most folks’ working hours.

My advice would be don’t rush it - to ensure attention to detail but also, it’s great fun! 

108 hrs over 8 weeks or so.  My advice would be to not go too fast as it’s a thoroughly enjoyable experience that’s over all too soon.

There’s a list of blogs within my blog, that may be of interest:

https://cat310s.wordpress.com/category/references/

Latest assembly guides can be downloaded from the Caterham Cars website:

https://caterhamcars.com/en/for-owners/guides-and-manuals

Enjoy!

It took me approximately 100 hours, but I did it over about 4 months in the winter.  I have limited mechanical knowledge and experience so learning on the job took extra time.

Plus as others have mentioned, my kit was missing parts (some caterham informed me of and some I had to figure out for myself and request from caterham).  Added to that was the fact mine was one of the first 170 builds, so the manual was lacking in some areas.

I’d suggest going through everything Caterham has sent you and reading a number of blogs (mine or Jon Martins are good) to see what order to do it in (the manual’s order is inconvenient and even impossible in same cases, especially in relation to the roll bar / rear suspension fitting).

I've just dug out my build diaries. 

1999 1.8K: 2 weeks, 100 hours  (I had an Easter holiday deadline to meet, plus I had a day job)

2008 R400D: 5.5 weeks, 170 hours (I was being really picky, and having retired I was happy to take my time)

Good luck with your build.  Take your time -- it'll be a memorable experience.  What model are you going for?

JV

A bit more about Assembly Guides for newcomers: the old style contained a lot more text (and IMHO information) than the current pictorial style. I'll send the appropriate version of both types and Owner's Handbooks and wiring diagrams and Factory Notices to any Member who asks. 

Jonathan

Took me a year to build this in 1997. Still on the road today as its taxed and Mot’d though I don't know where, was not far from me. The guy bought it on ebay and drove it down from Edinburgh. He came round to show me about 5 years ago.

IMG_0054.thumb.jpeg.f9e8c0cd052651e68d13a5f19a3ee498.jpegIMG_0055.thumb.jpeg.edbe0e6d5c8c11a3cf1cef190fceb1c3.jpegIMG_0056.thumb.jpeg.51e01b8928126664975194f1e2614834.jpegIMG_0057.thumb.jpeg.9a2575a986e97d901317179fac547bdf.jpeg

Edited by Beagler

I've ordered a 420 R.

I love the way Caterham's website lures you in with a price of £41,990 and then by the time you have finished with the Configurator you can easily add another £4,000.

Then I made that worse by visiting Premier Power.

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, Ainsley said:

I've ordered a 420 R.

I love the way Caterham's website lures you in with a price of £41,990 and then by the time you have finished with the Configurator you can easily add another £4,000.

Then I made that worse by visiting Premier Power.

Had mine recently in Northampton Motor Sport. On jam and bread now and not sure can afford jam 🤣

40 minutes ago, Beagler said:

Had mine recently in Northampton Motor Sport. On jam and bread now and not sure can afford jam 🤣

Good news! We’re small scale jam, pickle and chutney makers and artisan bread and cake bakers. If any destitute 7 owners are in the Snetterton area they’re welcome to call by for freebies😀