Click here if you are having website access problems ×

To carpet or not to carpet?

JP

Mt rebuild is progressing nicely and I'm coming to focus on the interior.  The car used to be carpeted before the stripdown, but as part of the rebuild, my interior panels have all been nicely finished with black powdercoat.  I think it could look quite good with no carpet and just a transmission tunnel top...

Does anyone here have any comments.  Has anyone decided not to carpet and then wished they had done so?  Does the carpet offer some insulation for the passenger from engine bay / exhaust heat?

If you want cooler tunnel panels, I'd suggest using a tunnel insulation kit rather than carpets.  And then, to protect knees, an SBFS touring tunnel bag does the job nicely.

Personally, I like powder-coated panels plus tunnel top. That's how my R400D came. But my earlier 1.8K was fully-carpeted, and I was happy enough with that.

JV

Thanks #6.  Going to give it a miss when refitting.  I will refit the carpet behind the seats and I have the footwell mats which are a combination of carpet and a heel pad that secure in place with poppers.  However, that was when I had std floors.  I've fitted lowered floors for my rebuild...hopefully they will still fit...

When I rebuilt mine I did refit carpets, tunnel and rear bulkhead, but instead of gluing them in I fitted poppers and bases to the tunnel carpet/tunnel (there is no need on the bulkhead as it just hangs in place) in suitable places.

Recently, I decided to remove all carpets (7 is now basically used for sprinting/hillclimbing) and the tunnel top. As an when I return it to road usage it's a 10/15 minute job to replace the carpets.

Rubber mats in the footwell ahve gone long ago and replaced with 2 strips of skateboard grip tape on the floor of wach footwell as this prevents sliping when getting out IYSWIM. 

I carpeted mine after driving it a year without. Tunnel, bulkhead and boot. It has tidied up the look of the car as the aluminium was not painted. It has also got rid of background noise and rattles. It made a significant reduction in heat from the tunnel which is good in the summer but missed in the winter!

• Leadership Team

I ran for 10 years without carpets after re-panelling the interior and having it all powder coated. Then about 5 years ago following a respray I decided to add a layer of sound proofing and carpet to the bulkhead and tunnel sides. Definite reduction in gearbox and diff noise and cooler on hot days.
Rubber mats on the floors though, my car has had a good soaking numerous times and the rubber mats are easily lifted to dry out. Nothing under the seats.

Thanks all.  The tunnel set is only about £75 and so it's tempting just to re-carpet the tunnel (I would re-use the other carpets anyway), but it might look quite nice with bare black powdercoat...