Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Battery Charger - what is the 'go-to' recommendation these days?

DirtBuddha

For continuous use just for the Caterham, especially in the winter to maintain the battery, I use the CTEK 0.8A one: https://www.ctek.com/uk/battery-chargers-12v-24v/xs-0-8-uk

For my garage it is particularly good as I have a ceiling power socket, so this charger is light enough at 400 grams to just hang on the cord from the socket, leaving no leads across the floor.

I have my accumate still going strong after 16 years continuous use, if doesn't seem to speed up evaporation in the cells. Nothing to do, just plug it in. I have a 5A CTEK MXS 5 for bigger batteries. I used it once a week on my tintop in the first lockdown, but generally doesn't get much use. I seem to remember a common fault is with the buttons, I think it was JK that had communication with CTEK regarding this(?).

I would recommend looking at a battery isolater with the occasional charge if it's a summer car. 

Mine is a summer car and after 2 years the Banner battery went completely dry on my ctek charger. I only checked it about 6 months ago and had to top up one cell. Tried to turn the car over the other day and it was dead,  subsequently finding out only one cell having a visible water level. Tried to recon it and the Ctek gave up.

Never had this issue with tin top summer cars before so something to think about. 

• Area Representative

CTEK MS 3.8. Used as required over the winter which is not often as the battery neg lead is disconnected.

Level of wet cells will drop regardless of static charging regime. Check electrolyte levels on a regular basis. 

I have used a couple of 5A C-teks for about 5 years with no issues to the device or batteries which are left on charge Oct - March.

I have also had 2 Optimates. One blew its transformer after I used it on a low car battery.

The other still works but the charged  indicator LED died. 

Personally, I get the 5A C-Tek