Click here if you are having website access problems ×

1.6k Series MOT Failure on emissions

C7 Owl

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's passed everything apart from lambda, which according to that is showing it's running really lean. Ideally you'd plug it in to make sure it's entering closed loop, coolant up to temp etc. But I'd make sure the exhaust system isn't leaking anywhere as that will cause the issue, otherwise you can always try another lambda. 

Thanks.

The problem with PDFs on this site is that they sometimes don't show with some browsers, see John Vine's comment upthread.

Those are much clearer than the previous versions. 

Are you using the shortcut upload method? That automatically reduces the resolution. This isn't usually a problem for photos but can be for documents. The older upload method doesn't do this.

Jonathan

#25: To me, that MOT result suggests an exhaust leak drawing in air, as your CO and HC values are ok. With the engine on tickover, bung up the tailpipe with a tightly fitting rag and listen for leaks.

There are three places where your exhaust system could be leaking: manifold, collector exit, and the mounting boss for the lambda sensor.  Check all these.  Of course, you might have a leak somewhere else due to corrosion, so check the condition of pipes and silencer. For the latter, you'll need to remove the heat shield (usually held on by three large jubilee clips).

JV

Thats good news, exhaust has a nice note and the revs are gained nice and freely so was not keen to change anything.  I'll get a rag and try and find if there is a leak.  In terms of products to reseal.  Any recommendations, how is the Holts Gum Gum and Exhaust repair bandage?  Halfords have in stock so could sort tomorrow if there is a leak. Or is it a waste of time doing anything other than getting a welder to take a torch to it.  

If I dont find a leak.  I have had a quote from redline for the lambda sensor.  It seems a bit high though at just under £200 inc vat.  I have found this Lambda Sensor.  I can see that EU2 1.8 k series definitely work with this.  But it seems that any pre 2000 k series should also.  I have found even cheaper ones on ebay but not sure they are genuine bosch parts so will stick with the OEM equivalent ones.  Does anyone know if MHK10006 is the right part number for the EU2 1.6 K series?   

All the different EU3 K Series used the same lambda sensor MHK100840.

All the different EU2 K Series used the same lambda sensor MHK10006.

The only difference between the two is the connector, EU2 has a 4-way Econoseal to suit the EU2 loom.

To be honest, any standard 4-wire narrow-band lambda sensor with the correct thread will work fine, they are all pretty much the same. They're a fairly generic technology. I'm running one off a Toyota, I have a custom collector on my exhaust with the lambda boss coming out horizontally, it was a bit close to the bodywork and the barrel of the Toyota one was a bit shorter. I just changed the plug and it was fine.

I certainly wouldn't be paying anything like £200 for one myself!

Didnts manage to find the leak.  Gonna give it another shot tomorrow, was a bit windy so made it a little tricky.  Will the fumes be quite obvious if exhaust is blocked up?  I'd blocked it but a bit was still coming out through the rag.  Could not see anything escaping from any of the joints.  

#45:  You're unlikely to actually see anything.  It's more a question of listening for escaping gas.  Take a thick rag, fold it several times, and then hold it over the end of the pipe with the flat of the hand.  (The rag is there to stop you burning yourself!)

If you don't have a leak, that's good news insofar as it suggests your exhaust system is in good order.  But we'll then need to think again about that lambda value. 

ETA:  I forgot to ask....  Does the car run well on the road?  Smooth acceleration, no hesitation or misfiring?  Economy ok?

JV

I have not driven it much this year due to time it took me to replace binding rear calipers, but noticed on the way to the MOT test centre that their was hesitation at low revs and felt a bit lumpy. No misfire though from what I could tell.  Im going to have another go later in the week and use soapy water on the joints hopefully will bubble up if there is a leak.  Will also listen more carefully had mainly been looking for smoke forcing its way out.