Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Duratec Oil Filter Tight

theslowman

Hi,

I am mid way through the first oil change on my newly built Caterham 420.

I have been changing oil filters on cars for nearly 40 yrs without any significant issues but removing the oil filter is proving to be beyond the conventional tools that I have.

The filter just will not budge.

Presumably it was installed in the factory without lubricating the seal and has simply stuck on.

Any bright ideas of the best tool or tips to remove it would be very much appreciated.

I suppose I am off shopping in the morning....

TIA

Regards

P

#2 That's what I use and it's never been a problem. A chain type would be just as good but I'm guessing you have one or other? 

I would suggest you fit the wrench with the handle in a position where you can either get a pipe on it or, probably easier, tap it firmly with a hammer to break the seal. 

If you've a dry sump don't forget to pull the finger filter, there's a lot of oil in there, and be gentle on the M5 cap head. 

I would say it is best to use the proper tool to remove the filter, as opposed to a generic one, if it is very tight. I don't currently use the UFI filter (I use a Ford Focus compatible filter that has a bit higher capacity, but otherwise the same characteristics).

I think this is the right tool for a 12-flute 76mm diameter UFI filter: https://www.sd-tec.de/en/item-1-412801006.html

Using that type of filter wrench also allows torquing, I tighten my filter to 15Nm.

UPDATE.

I bought a set of Halfords Oil Filter Pliers, ate a lot of Weetabix and only just managed it.

It took all my strength and weight to undo it, the force was not required just to break the seal, it took lots of force for the first few turns.

Stupidly tight.

But done.

I tried to push the pliers with a bit of tube slipped over the handles but could not get enough leverage so had to abandon that method.

I jacked up the front end and put it onto axle stands, got underneath, braced my feet against the front suspension and pulled with all my might. It slowly turned and after a few revolutions it freed up.

The new filter span on as easily as you would expect.

P

Thanks Olly and Scott for the replies, yes I plan do it myself. Though I think I'll let the dealer sort the first 3 month one to catch any issues.  One last question, is it 5W50 oil? I think I have read that on here.

Cheers, Phil