Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Reversing

Beagler

I find it difficult reversing the Cat when on my drive. There is a wall at one side and my car at the other so a narrow gap. The vision is unclear due to wide rear wings and being low down. Anyone find the same and have you any tips.

Must confess that I am happy reversing anywhere EXCEPT into my garage, there I tend to reverse up the drive off the road and stop close to the door, then get out and push in. Also reduces the risk of running over the elderly, stupid, chocolate Labrador who is always keen to seen what is going on.  

I just use a tennis ball on a string hanging from the ceiling to mark the centre point where I want to place the car (and also acts as a stop before hitting the trailer stored on edge in front of a workbench), the ball has a reflective strip around it to show up easily when the garage lights are off at night. Used for the BMW to reverse in to keep it's side mirror about 100mm from the Caterham that is pushed against the wall in our oversized double garage with an offset door, but maintain enough space to the Macan that is placed in forward so both can open their drivers doors without banging against each other.

Totally hear you, if you can twisting up and round in the seat is the best bet, using true vision not mirrors, depends on your flexibility though. Alternately I got some cool motorbike mirrors which are on longer, higher stalks than most and fitted those so I can clearly see wings etc. In the photo ignore the sidescreen mounted ones its the taller ones that do the job.catmirror.thumb.jpg.334d67f4b806add5c371de873c07aca0.jpg

In my spare time I work for a charity driving a mini bus around the lanes of Somerset. This involves a lot of reversing, often with a load of old ladies on board ( dont't go there!).

Part of my role is to train new drivers, and it is surprising how many of them opt out because they cannot handle the reversing!

• 2 weeks later...