Click here if you are having website access problems ×

IVA advice please

rob_had

Hi
I’m just finishing my build and am booking post build check and IVA test. I’d planned to take car to dealer, then rectify any issues that they find, and take the car for IVA myself. However I’ve been told that many builders leave the car for the dealer to fix any issues, and for them to present the car for IVA (obviously at a cost). I’d rather complete the process myself, but what do most builders do? And are there good reasons for handing it over to the dealer for IVA?

Thanks

Rob

I had my post build check done at Caterham.  They did a few things within the time they allow.  Anything else from their list I resolved myself before submitting the car for the IVA.  The car was driven to the IVA station; if you do this make sure you've got your documents in order, I was pulled over by the police as he spotted the lack of plates - not a problem.

Steve

I think the most important thing is to be present at the IVA, regardless of who is presenting the car. 

I have been through three IVAs, so by no means an expert, but I feel some PBC inspections identify work that's not needed for IVA, while forgetting to complete other identified and paid for work (not my car).  I have also sustained damage to the car while it was waiting for IVA at the dealer. 

My last IVA I didn't bother with the PBC until it was road registered.  This isn't for the faint hearted, I had a 200 mile round trip under time pressure, with a car that had never been tested further than my driveway.  Regardless it was still with CC assistance, where I borrowed some compliant parts.

If I where you I would PBC before IVA, taking the car to and from the dealer via a trailer on the day of the PBC. They fix anything identified before your IVA date, and fit any complaint parts needed days before the test.

I would do it yourself. On your drive to the testing center use the brakes as much as possible - mine failed first time round due to 'uneven' braking. There was nothing wrong with them - just needed to be 'bedded' in a little?

I think it depends on how confident you are with your building and spannering skills.

If you're pretty sure you've done a thorough job (especially with all the IVA bits and pieces), drive it to the IVA first and do the PBC later.  Be sure to work the brakes and gears frequently en route.  Take a good set of tools as a friendly inspector will allow you to make minor on-site adjustments.  IME, he'll be as keen as you are to achieve a pass.

That's how I approached my SVA and IVA, and I'm pleased to say they turned out ok.  And I even followed a police car for several miles without a peep re my lack of plates.  A pity, really, as I would have enjoyed the discussion.

JV

ChrisC said some PBC inspections identify work that's not needed for IVA, while forgetting to complete other identified and paid for work

Garth said mine failed first time round due to 'uneven' braking

*arrowup* been there and done both of those!

My first IVA (the car passed second time, less than a week later) was done by a thoroughly nice chap who in turn, was being assessed - so I think he was being extra-diligent (a lack of e marking on the side screens for example)

As above, take a circuitous route to the test, braking frequently to bed the brakes in and take as simple a car as possible (the other bits can be put on when you've passed!)

If you built the car, surely you would want to be the one taking it through its IVA, even if Caterham do guarantee a pass, albeit at a cost.

I presented the car at IVA myself, this was on the basis that I had built it myself and wanted to see the whole process through.

I did have a PBC done first for peace of mind and so that the dealer could fit an IVA compliant steering wheel they lent me.

They didn't find anything materially wrong with the car but had clearly 'adjusted' a few thing for me - better fixed the tyre goo in the boot, added a lock nut to the steering column grub screw and re-bled the brakes for me. They also did a 10 mile test drive to bed the brakes in - I presume they did this on trade plates. So, in my case it was definitely a good idea to have the PBC done in advance.

I trailered the car to the IVA, as my insurance company was a bit vague on the cover if I drove it myself.

I actually enjoyed the IVA, I was asked to help with the process and they took the time to explain what they were doing all the way through. We chatted about how I had approached the build and laughed at some of the Caterham 'idiosyncrasies'. They were very professional but equally quite keen to pass the car if they could.

I had one issue with the steering not self centreing as it should, I was invited to correct it while they had a cup of tea, which I did with a bit of toe out.

Obviously I don't know how it would have done if the dealer had presented it, I suspect it would have passed too. But I figured I would be paying someone to do what I could do for myself plus their charges fro transporting the car there and back.

My IVA experience was quite good when I went through it last March. Definitely take some tools with you though. I was asked to remove the pedal box cover for inspection purposes. It was pretty satisfying to see the fruits of my labours. The tester took me as a passenger when he drove it around the car park to test the mirror sight lines and to do the brake lock up test and I was fully involved int he whole process. The only horrible bit was waiting 5 weeks for my V5 to arrive afterwards!! I 

Thanks again, I shall take on board all the above advice. I've thoroughly enjoyed the build, and don't want to hand over the final tweaks and IVA to someone else. I'd also be concerned about leaving the car with the dealer (in the open!) for the 3 weeks between PBC and IVA.