Click here if you are having website access problems ×

REAR LIGHT CLUSTER PROBLEMS

Guy Lowe

Strange question, are the current rear light bulb holders the same as the old ones (see image below) it's the pin/contact arrangement I am interested in. The units  I have were fitted in 1990 and work fine but I have just had a 21/5 tail brake bulb fail and the neither of the twin pack I bought from Halfords work. Tried in both sides and only the brake filament works but they work fine in the tin top. The bulbs are both good but they seem not to locate the contacts on the tail light supply in the holder, have the contacts always been on a sprung loaded pusher plate arrangement or do some have individual sprung pins?

Bulb02.thumb.jpeg.5f6dc555a733359788518d4523d74c5c.jpeg

• Area Representative

Seems very odd. I don't think lights or bulbs have changed. I can only think that there is a bad contact. Not surveillance you are able to dismantle but I'd clean the contacts and make sure there is enough pressure against the bulb.

There are two types of stop/tail light - straight pin and offset pin. The offset ones have one locating pin higher than the other. Make sure you've got the right type - should be fairly obvious if you look at the holder.

31b5vGDYCCL._AC_.jpg

31OG94uu0HL._AC_.jpg

Edit: Obvious problem 1: the first one is clearly not a stop/tail bulb. Problem 2, if the pins weren't offset then there's be no way to orient it correctly. So actually I think I'm talking bollocks - the straight/offset issue must only applies to single-filament bulbs

# 2 Yes all cleaned & spring working as it should do, the bulb from the O/S works in it okay but both new bulbs don't work in either side

# 3 Yes they are all 180 degree opposed & staggered pins

# 4 As above, straight pin with  one locating pin higher than the other

# 5 I agree

Is the spring in the holder, er, springy? It may have partly rusted away. Do both contacts go up and down smoothly? The plate may be tipping when you push the bulb in.  Possible solution is to add solder to the tail light bump so it's higher and makes contact or even cut off the contacts and solder the wires direct to the bulb (though that's desperation!)

Yes spring works fine, the contacts do not move separately as they are set into the backing plate (see image in OP) that's why I asked if CC had changed them over the years as this would be a better option. 
7D242687-36CA-471A-9CAA-7A723E184A5E.jpeg.3737f301b6b29c75afd12c1c9272c0d3.jpeg

Tony, adjusting the contact height with a soldering iron and/or file is not a desperate option, I have used it many times in my misspent yoof.  *getmecoat*