Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Ceramic Coating vs Wrap ?

L66TEY

I was told by Northampton Motorsport that wrap 'may' cause the exhaust material to crack/fail. I've read this elsewhere also, for instance. However, there are a lot of people on here who have done it without issue.

Personally, if I was choosing, I'd go for the ceramic coating. The reason I considered it was because when I first had my current Caterham (you remember it Chris, we chatted at Cadwell this year) it ran ridiculously hot. That was owing to other issues though.

For coating have a word with Kirdford shotblasting, they are considerably cheaper than Zircotec.

I have a coated exhaust on my classis bike and it still looks immaculate after 5 years and 7500 miles of long distance events.

JeWe

I wrapped my headers last summer, as under bonnet temperatures on my VHPD SLR were giving problems with the engine cutting out after spirited summer track day laps in the absence of a cool down lap.  I just wanted to cover the first bends and stop before exiting the engine bay. 

The wrapping was simple - worth watching few Youtube videos, buy extra stainless steel cable ties for mid-point security, don't rush and be prepared to re-start. The high temp spray paint is critical to harden and secure the material, I did an entire can on a four branch header - but could of easily done a can and a half. 

The car hasn't stalled in hot weather, you can't see the wrap from outside of the car, and it's not un-wound.

Hope that helps - Rob.  

Have had/ done both and would go the ceramic for aesthetics particularly,

I do have a very old tale of woe with wrap - a friend sent his kit car up in flames, by wrapping the whole exhaust as it passed through and close to GRP sill, when the car went up the analysis was that the wrap had super heated the steel exhaust, and gases causing a pinrpick hole to act as bunsen burner onto the GRP......

Who knows the voracity of that but that's what he said, I am sure knowledge and materials have improved since then, and ceramic I have seems durable and very cleanly done.

• 1 year later...

Interesting thread. 

I have just had Zircotec applied to my K R500 primaries to try to make the passenger footwell capable of use beyond about 20 minutes. 

So based on only one run (not a gentle one), 30 minutes no passenger then 30 minutes with passenger, comment was "what heat?". Sounds to good to be true to me, but we will see. 

Yes too expensive. Tried wrap, it fell off/disintegrated. Wish I had known about Kirdford shotblasting to ask.

Also I have noticed some peeling of the coating over an inch or two by no 2 primary. Will be discussing that.

The colours are not what they sound like.

Anthony

I googled these details

Kirdford Shot Blasting & Powder Coating, 5 Russett Place, Kirdford, West Sussex,RH14 0QQ

Contact 01403 820880 info@kirdfordshotblasting.co.uk www.kirdfordshotblasting.co.uk

Pete

your sleeve solution looks very nice. Did it slide over the exhaust hooks on the end of the primaries?

I ran with exhaust wrap for a few years but now run nude...

When the wrap came off, the metal of the primaries had changed colour/surface texture quite noticeably and this brought to mind previous blatchat comments that suspected that the stainless had overheated and weakened the structure. I can't say this is true or not, any comments? (A quick google seems to disprove this)

• Area Representative

I wouldn't try to keep the heat in. It doesn't disappear, the heat has to go somewhere.  (Conservation of energy, very simple physics).

I expect the metal underneath to reach higher temperature, the catalytic converter (if fitted) to receive hotter gases and the silencer likewise.

• Area Representative

I won't try to keep the heat in. It doesn't disappear, the heat has to go somewhere.  (Conservation of energy, very simple physics).

I expect the metal underneath to reach higher temperature, the catalytic converter (if fitted) to receive hotter gases and the silencer likewise.