Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Replacement inertia reel seatbelts

john milner

The reels on both sides are lacking in retracting power so I need to replace them. I have tried washing and polishing them which got me a couple of years but I need to now replace both sides. The car is a 2003 SV. Caterham have sets listed at £163 which can probably be beaten somewhere. Any idea of where I can buy a set at a better price? I'm not buying harnesses.

If the mechanisms are OK there are companies that make replacement belts in any colour you like. Maybe worth a call anyway as I bet they refurbish older belts than 2003!

From memory (of messing about with minis) belts are specific and its all to do with the latching system that locks the belt in an accident. This has to be in a certain orientation when the belt mechanism is bolted into the car. Some cars have the mechanism bolted in at a slight angle, so the latching actuation has to allow for this. Some are bolted in upright so the latching orientation is different. I do recall a set of belts where the latching system had an adjustment dial where the arrow had to be vertical depending which side the belt was bolted.

The webbing appears to be fine although a good clean and sprays with furniture polish and silicone did help with the action to get a couple more years out of them. My guess is that the retraction springs have lost tension through time and use. It is sounding as though the best option is to pay for a Caterham set.

This is the set I found quite easily so it is likely even cheaper but still decent quality sets are available somewhere. Ebay have an £18+ set from China but there is no mention of E marks etc. so I'll avoid those.

https://www.holden.co.uk/p/inertia_reel_seat_belt_4_point_mounting_short_stalk

https://www.holden.co.uk/p/inertia_reel_seat_belt_4_point_mounting_short_stalk

Just checked out the caterham parts website and they are £163 for a pair (I'd assumed they were £163 each)

I don't think thats a bad price for two belts with the retaining straps/buckles and all new bolts.

I've also just remembered reading that the short strap / buckle is specific to the seven and very short. IIRC longer ones can cause severe injuries in an accident hence caterham specific design. If you buy an alternate it may not fit the caterham buckle.

1/ Difficult to use properly as they should be slackened and tightened before use. So for example adjust before leaving home, 10 minutes later adjust again after buying petrol, 10 minutes later adjust again after supermarket, 10 minutes later adjust again after leaving another shop, two hours later adjust again after leaving destination.

2/ Wife would go mental if she had to do the above.

3/ Inertia belt needed for child seat.

4/ I want to operate the heater when ever I like.

Replacement belts are now fitted. Replacements are from a 2013 car (mine is 2003). Reels have a slightly different shape but all threads are the unchanged so it was a straight swap. The bolt that holds the reel behind the triangular plate is a bit odd though as the new and old threads are the same but the old bolt needs an 18mm (or possibly imperial) spanner but the replacement needs 16mm. The smaller head size does make sense though as it is a bit of a squeeze getting it past the suspension coil.

The old reel has a paper sticker with the word AUTOLIV. The are some numbers stamped in the metalwork but I can't make out what it says.