Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Duratec slow oil warm up

Doc007

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How many degrees? 

Thing is I don't really have an issue with the oil warming. On a day when the ambient is say 15-20c it takes about 5 miles to get up to 60c in the DS tank which I'm quite happy with. Once it's fully warm it's about 70c. On track 80c (not tried the blanking on track) 

Yes, I know some will say I should be measuring peak temperature but there a solid correlation and I only want to know when it's warm enough ti press on or if there's a sudden significant change. 

Well, Neil, I have the DS system fitted by CC back in 2015 and still sold by them. Is that the raceline? 

The finger filter is held in place by a small aluminium plug with an O ring. Is that what you mean? 

If so, yes I'd be interested in a replacement with a sensor tapping  

This one: 

E3643463-CC44-4015-854E-EDCD8F55FF88.thumb.png.3ace55c8c999ec3c81b20b18bb24233d.png

I wouldn't have thought so Dan. What year is the car? Presumably dry sump? 

You'll be fine without it though, in all likelihood. I've just been out for a blat after putting the blanking plate back over the oil cooler. The oil was running at 65-70c at the tank, after cooling. Seems to run at that level whether the cooler's blanked off or not, though 70 is easily reached in reasonable ambient. It's quite cool today, 15c. 

Have you had the car since new? Maybe the previous owner took it off, if not. 

Its a 2012 dry sump R500D.  There is no oil cooler on there, but i cant remember off the top of my head what the running oil temps were. 

Ive not had it since new so perhaps it has been removed somewhere along the way, although it had only done 2600 miles when i got it. 

For just road use I don't think the oil cooler is needed. For track use it is likely necessary, my bulk oil temp in the dry sump tank reaches over 80C on my R400D with oil cooler, corresponding to about 120C at the hottest point the oil is at before reaching the cooler and tank. I also run a lower water temperature on my car compared with standard, keeping it between 85 and 90C (fan on set to 90C, off set to 85C), so may well run a slightly cooler engine than others with the standard fan control settings.

Before I start poking about the drysump tank on my 2021 420R can anyone confirm whether the boss on the lower right hand side (as face the car from the front) is tapped ready for a temperature sender.  Its rather difficult to tell without getting a camera down there.  There is no plug sticking out, but could it have a short plug inserted with an allen key socket.

I am thinking of blocking of the oil cooler (for the road) but would like to be able to monitor the oil temp.  At the present I do not want to go down the route of oil/water intercoolers, thermostatic valves etc.

Colin

That boss certainly used to be tapped ready for a sensor, in fact my car was delivered with a sensor already fitted but serving the sole purpose of blocking up the hole. 

Using a 3 pole switch and small changes in the sensor wiring I now flick between oil and water temperature on the water temperature gauge. 

Remember you only get the temperature after cooling in the tank, which is fine for spotting variations from normal. If you want peak oil temperature you need to put the sensor in the sump. 

• 3 months later...

Whilst the car was in for its 6000 mile service (done in 6 1/2months) i had Oakmere fit the oil temp sender whilst the dry sump tank was empty.I have now wired this up to a on-off-on switch hidden under the dash and can now switch from oil to water temperatures.  Having just been out and done around 10 miles the car has only got to around 45 degrees.  Yesterday it may have been slightly warmer weather as had oil up to 50 degrees.

I think I need to block as much of the oil rad as I can.  How have others done this.  I am think of gettig some plasticard and cuttingto shape to fit around the fan housing.  This might cover around 1/3 of the radiator.

Colin