Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Aeroscreen not sitting flush

Phillip Meyer

I bought a Caterham aeroscreen but I have a gap between the bottom of the screen and the car caused by the position of the wipers 'thingy'.

Has anyone else had this issue and found a solution?

it occurs to me that I could remove the wiper assembly but I want to be able to switch easily between windscreen and aeroscreen.

I also thought I might be able to buy or 3D print a smaller black plastic block tor the wipers to sit on (Zoe maybe cut a small section out of the plastic).

Another option could be to cut or file a small section of the carbonfibre away to make a small semi-circular cut out for them. That feels the best option but I haven't ever tried filing carbon fibre.

007000F7-DBA0-4FC8-BB43-6F74D5AA09B1.thumb.jpeg.30f0cf8ab819b0ccb5e7b33feca48a3a.jpeg

Is your aero a Caterham-supplied item (with a CC part number), or another brand "suitable for a Caterham"?

Mine is a CC composite one that came with the car, and it fits just fine (apart from some small gaps here and there that I fill with draught-excluder tape).  There's certainly no need to remove the wiper spindles.

JV

• Area Representative

I'm not sure where mine is from (came with car), but it might be RiF?

Anyway, as per pic, it fits quite snuggly against the wiper spindles and is flat.

Just a thought - could your aero screen be for a metric car and you have an imperial (or visa versa) which is causing the issue? Not sure if there is a difference in the aero screen design for the different chassis - just a suggestion?

E37A88DA-42B7-4E04-9944-D7ED87015AD4.thumb.png.d08fa677a30b601bdddfe3b0de043fc3.png

Thinking now, I suspect that you are right, either the poppers are too far forward or the wiper mechanism too far back. I will try to loosen both (poppers should be easy, not sure how to loosen the wiper mechanism) and push them.

I am not with my car right now but from your photo, my poppers seem to sit much further back as your carbon that supports the central mirror is almost all the way back whereas there is a good centimetre or more gap for mine! (clearly not a small adjustment though)