Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Front damper brass extender - should this have been fitted before delivery?

Beenster

Hi, new Caterham builder here.  I am just tackling the front suspension and have hit a problem already.  I have a 420R kit with Bilstein suspension. The suspension was delivered without the brass extenders fitted, every blog I have read has photos with it already fitted to the dampers.  the v2.0 manual does not show the extender.  Caterham delivered them in the kit but not pre-fitted.

I tried to fit as permanual but the top of the suspension fowls the bolt head of the upper wishbone - so the extender would be great to give me clearance.

I have tried to fit the extender tp the damper but am at risk of rounding the nut on the damper.  Should they have come fitted and I just get a new set sent over or is this a classic undocumented job I need to work out how to do?

20210627_111650.thumb.jpg.a12692047475227ef7a9731c58b11088.jpg

As Ian, Wrightpayne,says, to put the extender in will require you take all the tension off the spring, so assuming you have adjustable dampers, it will be necessary to undo the platform to take the pressure off the spring, but remember before you do that, measure where the spring platform is so you can put it back in the right place.

While I was struggling to understand the lack of clearance I did take a look at the other damper. I was able to remove the cuff in order to gain access to the bolt at the top of the damper. I was not able to remove this bolt for fear of rounding it as it was rock solid.

Thanks for the tips, yes I mean the lock nut on the top of the damper. I have removed the tension on the spring in order to gain access to the locknut. I suppose I wasn't expecting to do this job as other blogs make no mention of having to fit the brass extender, which makes me think it should have been done before delivery. Ok, I probably just lack some confidence here (also don't have a desk vice, so I am using workmate bench for vice)

Ideally you need a pair of circular clamps to enable you to very firmly grip the damper road in the vice so you can remove the upper mount and fit and secure the extension piece (this is actually steel with a yellow passivate coating)

If you mark the damper road this will cut the seal in operation.

CC usually supply these fitted if your order has widetrack, 

Heat!  You are likely to need plenty of heat to break down any Loctite on the threads.  Then the end eye will come off.

Shaft clamps will really help but soft jaws of any type should do the trick.

We regularly get these "smokin" in the workshop in order to remove! *smash*