Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Nosecone fitting query

JA Seven

I’ve just started a rebuild of a 1999 K Series. It’s just about to go off to Arch for a re-panel and then to TSK for paint.

I’ve bought new fiberglass bits from Redline but have a query after trial-fitting the nosecone.

Does the nosecone go underneath or on top of the lower chassis bracket?

When I bought the car, the Dzus fastener was attached to the chassis and the s-spring was attached to the nosecone. The nosecone sat on top of the bracket. I’m pretty sure that is wrong.

Also, is there any hardware that attaches to the nosecone that the fastener is riveted to?

Interesting.... mine's a '93 car and and the nose cone has always rested on the lower bracket so the Dzus fastener is fixed to said bracket and the 's' clip is fitted to the inside of the nose cone. It's remained that way through both rebuilds with new nose cones. Seems logical to me..... Maybe on later 7's the nose cone is slightly different requiring the fasteners to be the other way round?

Mines a '98 car, original nose as fitted by the factory and it sits on top of the chassis brackets. I guess you need smaller holes in the fibreglass and resting on the metal tabs spreads load a bit more, rather than hanging from a point.

I'm sure later nose cones are designed to rest on the round chassis tube across their full width at the lower edge

Mine is a bit older than yours (1985) but also factory fitted.  The nose goes on top of the brackets.  The bracket is dished so that the Dzus fastener sits flush on the underside.  For those of you where the nose goes under are the brackets flat?

nose.thumb.jpg.d14a0963fa9a582c70384c8f743a092b.jpg

Thanks for all your replies - much appreciated.

I suspect that sometime in 1999 the nosecone lower mount changed from on top to underneath the chassis brackets.

I've tried to trial-fit mine underneath and it just won't fit. Hopefully TSK will be able to confirm.

• Area Representative

2000 Superlight R - Carbon nose, although I don't know if it's the original as supplied.

Mine has no lower fixings, but the bottom of the nose cone has an S shaped curve that rests on top of the bottom cross-member. I then have 2 Dzus fasteners at the top (one either side next to front of bonnet) that tightens the nose cone to the body.

• 1 month later...

I am having exact same issue. I suspect the nose cone design has changed over time and the bottom chin of the new design does not go down as much for the older cars. In fact, mine does not even cover the lower bolts of the wishbones.

I suppose if that really bother you (brackets are showing outside of the nosecone), you can saw off the brackets and rivet a set of new brackets on the inside (Caterham sold them https://caterhamparts.co.uk/brackets/1707-lower-dzus-fastener-bracket-nosecone.html?search_query=nosecone+bracket&results=250).

Mine is also a 2002 SV with no bottom fasteners. It has always worked great but the new one I just got from Redline is different. It still has no bottom fasteners, but also no Zsus fasteners on top--just a couple of holes. I am just using some nylon bolts with wing nuts. Also, I had to cut some grooves in the bottom on each side so it would be notched correctly.