Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Bleedin' mi brakes

Julian H

If you have two bleed nipples on you front calipers, do outside then inside. 

Assuming its a DeDion car, the biggest problem is the rears, which love to retain air because of the mounting location (i.e. not as per the host Ford Sierra), its not so much of a problem with a fluid change assuming there is no air in there already.  So don't let the reservoir run low during the bleed. 

If you suspect air in the rear calipers, get your helper to vigorously apply and release the hand brake a few times each time they press the pedal down.

My current approach is to remove (with a big syringe) all the old fluid out of the master cylinder first and refill with new. Do not touch / press the brake pedal while empty.

Logic is you're not shifting a reservoir full of old fluid through the system first. Virtually straight into pumping new fluid.

Dont get any on the paint - its good paint stripper!!

Ian

I do as Ian does by taking out the old oil from the reservoir. It is around 70ml. I dampen a few rags too and place them around the caps of the master cylinder and the pressurised bleed kit should there be a problem and the fluid were to make a break for it. I go through 1.5 litres, you can use less than this but since I get it in 500ml bottles I get through the 3 bottles. No good having some left in an opened bottle.

#4 Chris

for callipers with two nipples, I always bled the outside one first but am told that the inboard one should be done first. I now shuffle backwards and forwards between them till all air is gone. I can't understand the logic of doing the inboard first....

I struggle with the logic of the inner front calliper nipple first too but it seems to work. I think the ideal sequence insofar as distance from master cylinder though is NSR, OSR, OSF, NSF because the pipe runs down the left hand side of the engine bay. Having said that, who cares as long as you get all the air out. When I built mine it took 3 goes with a pressure system to get all the air out including jacking the back up overnight with the pressure attached etc. Got there in the end though...

Re 2 nipple calipers - how they are constructed means they have 4 identical drillings so they are not handed. The top holes have the bleed nipples in, the bottom holes have an external link pipe joining the two halves together. The flexi pipe is always joined to the inner half.

If you bleed the outer half (furthest) first, fluid has to pass air trapped in the inner part so there is increased risk of inducing it into the outer caliper. Purging the inner of air first means there is just fluid present to move when the front half is bled.

Thats what I think anyway - if I was filling an empty brake system I'd do inner/outer a few times and repeat after a few weeks of use.

Ian

• Leadership Team

Re #2,  I bought one of the pressure bleeders a couple of years ago (mine's branded as a Sealey VS820) and it's definitely far better than the Gunson Eezybleed kits which rely on pressure from an inflated tyre. Everything about it is just better quality and does the job perfectly.

Stu.

Thanks for that Ian, it makes some sense….

Having thought about it, I start by assuming that there is a bubble of air sitting behind each nipple at the top of both sides of the caliper.

If I bleed the outer caliper first, that outer bubble will disappear but any fluid moving through from the inner caliper has a danger of carrying dissolved air from the bubble at the top of the inner caliper (which will still be there because the link pipe between both sides of the brake is at a low point)  which will affect the outer caliper operation.

Bleeding the inner caliper first removes the likeleyhood of dissolved air passing across

Which is pretty much what you said  *smile*