Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Thor hammer - Hide replacement

Roadsport06

Good morning all,

I have my dad's Thor hide hammer. Probably 50 years old. I didn't see him use it, but I remember seeing it every time I went into the garage and seeing it as an unusual hammer.

https://www.thorhammer.com/product-category/hammers/

The hide heads are battered. I contacted Thor, who are close to me and they will replace the hide heads with labour charges costing over £100. Not sure how that works as a complete new hammer is less than half of that! They sent a guide of how to replace and mention a special tool and a press. The tool isn't sold by them now either. Does anyone have any experience of putting in new hide heads?

• Leadership Team

The hide replacement faces are available for around £10 and plenty of details on YouTube about replacing. I've not done it myself yet but have been looking because similarly I have a pretty tired one that needs a refurb.

Stu.

• Area Representative

Stu - thanks.

Yes, I did see this - I think size 0 is no longer made, but I'm sure a solution is out there!

PS - Any chance of getting an updated pic of my SLR uploaded on your Caterham registration web site?! *smile*

It's not that I am after a new one. It is my dad's hammer that he gave to me and I want to get it fixed up. Thor isn't far from me, but they basically said the time to install a new head means that unless you can do it yourself then a new one is the way to go. I ordered a new head yesterday so fingers crossed I can get the new hide into the hammer.

I'll update as to how I get on when it arrives. It seems a few of us have wonky hide ends. I think a chamfer cut into the leather will help. The copper ends would certainly need the hammer face pressing open and then closing back. The one I have is the size 4 so a bit of a beast so I'm not sure how much use it will get with me. If I get the hide in then I'll need to wire brush the metal head and lacquer it (I can't remember it was ever painted, I assume it was originally but that isn't what I want to achieve). The handle has had a wipe and linseed oil to feed it.

I have a Gilpin axe from clearing my late fathers house to rehandle. I've already done the coal axe from my grandparents which is a ball pein hammer thats been converted to an axe by the blacksmith (I presume). I now use it for chopping stick for the fire. Also bought some boiled linseed for the handles. I love the smell of it.

There is something that makes you feel good when using tools passed down. Dad had lots of kit which is interwoven with mine and I use bits of his kit all the time apart from the strowger switchgear adjusting tools (telephone exchange switchgear!)

Ian

Apart from miscellaneous hand tools (including some that look suspiciously like they were handmade) I inherited my Father's AVO Meter from his National Coal Board days. I'm not confident to use it in case I damage it but it's a nice thing to have to remember him by.  He also made me a jig when we were assembling the De Dion suspension on my seven. Quite a crude little thing but it did the job and I have it as another reminder. 

I was given a hide and copper one many years ago (in my youth!) which I have to this day.  The hide head fell out once which rather surprised me but I was able to reinsert it by judicious use of a vice to effectively lock it in place with a slight twist of the head in the socket.  I have heard it suggested that soaking the hide head (presumably in water) would soften it enough to allow it to be pushed in whereupon it would dry out and stay in place.  I've never seen it done so can't confirm that it works.

Roadsport06 - I guess Thor's seemingly very expensive cost for fitting a new head in an existing hammer takes into account the additional work of removing the old hide head, having read the method of replacement detailed on their website.  Even so, it is prohibitively expensive, possibly designed to test your desire to save a hammer that has some obvious emotional attachment for you.  Many of us will have similar inherited items that have assumed significant sentimental status, well beyond their material worth.  There's nothing wrong in that.

I've not had the new hide yet, I'll keep in mind the house of water to soften and push in. I never saw my dad use the hammer so not a great attachment to it for me but there is one as I always remember seeing it's of appearance. He has heart failure and recently gave away his tools to me. That was tough for him as it was admitting to himself that he isn't up to much now. I wouldn't be happy to bin the hammer as it was given to me but equally the cost for them to do it is silly. Once I've got the hide and given it a go I'll report back

Wish I hadn't seen this thread.  I know I have a small copper mallet tucked away somewhere.  It came with my long since dead MGB Roadster for removing he knock on wheel nuts. I feel that I should try to revive it but will have to find it first

My father passed away several years ago but I still have my dads Thor in his old toolbox. He was a maintenance electrician at AEI in the early days. I still imagine him using it every time I pick it up. As you say, every bloke should have one. 

• 3 weeks later...

I have a Thor copper and hide mallet but recently inherited my fathers old Thor no3 double hide hammer.  Not been used for decades and the hides were dried out and completely loose.  Having read this thread I was inspired to do something about it so started by soaking the head overnight in a bucket of water with a bit of washing up liquid in it.  I then left it to dry for a few days. Hide now seems locked back into place. Not sure how long it will take before they dry out again but for now I have a functioning hide hammer.

Now to start on the 1959 Primus 210 stove in a box that I also inherited.

7C83B826-78C9-4543-A098-ACA08A9181E6.thumb.jpeg.de28ba60d902a30025a8a536cc7fada0.jpeg