Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Avon Tyre Codes

L66TEY

Hoping for assistance in understanding Avon tyre codes on my CR500's as I suspect they could be due a change...

Fronts: 2914

Rears: 4214

I believe these to therefore be from week 29 and 42 in 2014 - is that right?

Carry on regardless or get them changed?

I believe tyres are considered new up to 5 years from the manufacturer date and can be sold by Tyre suppliers as new.

Saying that I brought my 2015 car with only 1300miles on it and will probably be replacing the tyres as they feel a bit hard.

If in doubt wear them out.

• Leadership Team

#8 John, I was in a similar situation when my front CR500 s had cracks in the side wall, but the rears were fine.  I got in touch with Avon about replacing, but they had none in stock and were waiting before making the last batch of CR500. 

I asked about leaving the CR500 on the rear and putting ZZS on the front.  Avon strongly recommended against it.

Re #10:

I asked about leaving the CR500 on the rear and putting ZZS on the front.  Avon strongly recommended against it.

Darren in CC Parts said the same.  My CR500 spare is strictly a get-you-home measure.  As soon as one pair of my ZZSs need replacing, I'll ditch the CR500 altogether and use one of the worn ZZS instead. 

JV

• Area Representative

Bad idea having two different types of tyres as axle sets. They may all be Avon but relative size, compound & tread all play their part in making the car a potential handful due to the dynamics, light weight & short wheel base.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Leadership Team

When you do change them, just be aware that the ZZS is a bit more "Ballooney" than the CR500. 

When I first had new ZZS on I got a bit of some toe-rag's sticky snack paper stuck on the.  I could hear it scrape on every revolution.

You might have to do a little judicious 'persuading' if your present clearance is +/- 'only just'.

I'm currently sorting this on my car. I'm having to bend the wing stays a bit and reposition the cycle wings.

JV - CR500s are a very square tyre. I.e. the sidewall is very flat with a fairly sharp corner to the tread The tyre guys commented on this when I was having the ZZSs fitted.. The ZZS sidewall bulges out a lot more. The larger tyre diameter combined with this bulge causes the sidewall to rubs on the cycle wings.

Ballooney is just a way of saying bulgey outey sidewalley *biggrin*

Damn it... Crossed posts and now you are using all technical terms.