Click here if you are having website access problems ×

JWM brakes

p.mole1

Has anyone got these fitted? (Jack Webb Motorsport) They seem OK and are a direct copy of the Caterham kit. They look a bit Chinese! however they fitted ok although the discs look a bit poor and have a small amount of run-out 0.10mm. I noticed the pad locating pins did not have any safety clips so I drilled a 2mm hole and fitted some R clips, although after checking the Caterham calipers don't have any safety pins. 

I'm probably not going to get a chance to test them till after the winter

IMG_5507.thumb.JPG.90059334c2c92850e94efc5a54798cb7.JPG

I've never been happy with the standard brakes, they have no feel and the pedal pressure required was unreal and I have driven other non servo-ed cars. You could just about lock the front brakes but it felt like the brake pedal was about to bend.

I think most of the JWM stuff carries a ‘not warranted if you’re going to use it’ warning! 

CONDITIONS OF SALE AND DISCLAIMER OF WARRANTY

DEFINITIONS:  

"Jack Webb Motorsport" means Jack Webb Motorsport and any Individual or representative thereof.
The "Purchaser" means the individual, company or any other entity buying a Product from this website.
A "Product" means any Item purchased via this website.

DISCLAIMER OF WARRANTY

Jack Webb Motorsport makes no warranties of its products whatsoever, expressed or implied, oral or written, to the Purchaser.

There is no warranty of merchant-ability made to Purchaser. Jack Webb Motorsport further excludes any implied warranty of fitness for purpose.

Jack Webb Motorsport accepts no responsibility for consequential damage, however caused.

It is expressly understood and agreed between Purchaser and Jack Webb Motorsport that as part of the bargain between the seller and the purchaser, that in consideration of doing business with each other, the Purchaser takes, selects and purchases any items "as is" and "with all faults"

If, and in the event that the Purchaser expressly or implicitly causes representations, or statements or affirmations of fact contrary to this disclaimer of all warranties, expressed or implied, then Purchaser agrees to indemnify and hold harmless the Jack Webb Motorsport in the event of any claim, demand, or legal action against Jack Webb Motorsport by the Purchaser or any other third party.

You should inform your insurance company of any modifications made to a vehicle, no matter how minor.

Before driving your car on the public highway you should ensure any parts fitted comply with local legislation with respect to construction and use.

Hiya disclaimers aside, yes I've got them on my car and yes I have tracked them and yes I've used them on road, there is a separate lengthy thread on here about my fitting and pad choice etc.

The pad pins I looked at twice too, they have a friction fit design which is a bit of  a leap of faith but if you look at what the pins actually do then all seems good.

On track they were reliable but I am now trying to fix bias issues (which in all honesty were present pre fitting and I have possibly excascerbated)

My feeling is that they have oodles more stopping power/ heat dissipation than I can currently use as the system is rather rear biased, I have kept the ferodo 2500 supplied pads in  the Jack Webbs, my rear now has the 3000's and literally right now I am putting in a flow valve to the rear so again I can get the Jacks to do more work, then I think I will be braking later harder and working the car better (on track that is)

Thanks everyone, the discs look a bit cheap, I don't generally use cheap brake parts! Better quality discs tend to have much better machining. I noticed the discs have heavy spots, probably not going to be a problem unless it causes vibration.

I did have a run out problem when I purchased the car, it turned out to be hubs, I purchased new ones from James Whiting which cured the problem, they have less than 0.02mm run out. It shows that JWM don't have much faith in their products! although that could just be the usual legal stuff to cover their backs from people fitting stuff with any idea of what they are doing.

I notice the caterham  discs are £169 each! does anyone know which vehicle they sourced from?

They might be expensive when compared to the standard disc, but realistically you’re problabaly only ever going to buy them once. Given the lightweight car and low mileages, I’m pretty sure they’d last years and years. I recall a supplier (was it Meteor Motorsport maybe) sold the disc and bell separately so you could replace the disc should they wear out. 

Caterham vented discs are sourced from a caterham I’m afraid. It’s their ones or the ones you have. Canley used to sell discs separately but caterham forced them to stop. Must mean they are the same discs and caterham didn’t want to be undercut. Jwm probably are the same too. I imagine the calipers are also ap without caterham branding. 

How does it work then?  If I wanted to make a batch for my hypothetical company, would I just place an order with AP and ask to make X number unbranded kits of the caliper and disc, place a deposit and sign a contract?  Do they own the IP on the calliper?  Or are they a copy of the AP calliper and disc by a third party? Are JWM / Canley genuine AP just without the Caterham branding?     

I guess if you want some calipers and call ap they are bound to use something from an existing design as the basis. Small vehicle manufactures can’t generally afford to pay for all the design, toiling, testing etc so they agree the part manufacturer can sell the part changed slightly and usually not for the same vehicle. The canley ones are going to end up looking like caterham ones by the fact they are all based around triumph mounting and hub designs at some point in the past. If you look at the current caterham ally 2 pots they look pretty much identical to lotus Elise front 2 pots. There will be differences but the base casting is probably the same