Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Knocking Noise in drive line when on or off the power.

jcaswell

My car is 1995 imperial chassis, De Dion, 5 speed ,Ford diff LSD. When diving and take power on and off I can hear a knocking in the drive line. I have been going through a systematic check. Wheel bearing are good no play.Checked mounting of diff all seems correct. I have found a bit of play in the left rear axle. At the wheel end {outside joint} I can get 1/8" to 3/16"  of movement by pushing up on that joint. The joint at the diff end can't really see any movement or induce any clicking sounds. Only the left side axle has the movement mentioned the other side seams fine. What are my options repair or replace? Thanks in advance.

Jamie.

propshaft joints ... OE ones are pretty cheap and wear very rapidly, downside is you need to remove the final drive to pull the prop.

You can get uprated joints with grease nipples fitted no problem - I use Martin @ proptech in Hartlebury 

you mention being able to push up on the left drive shaft.. is this in the actualy shaft..? ie playbetween shaft and CV outer joint..?

My 2001 prop has grease nipples, has done 50000 hard miles and had a few pumps of grease in that time and is fine.

I bought second hand one that also had grease nipples . . . which don't seem ever to have been used - both joints were notchy and stiff.  A good greasing and exercising got them going a bit better..

For the A frame bush, with the car on the ground get someone to push and pull the rear of the car violently from side to side. While they are doing this go under the car and put your thumb and first finger across the A frame bush and feel for movement.

Relatively cheap and easy to replace. If there is any sign of oil contamination I would change it.

• 5 weeks later...