Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Quick Release Steering wheel won't go back on

BrianD

My Momo steering wheel is often removed and replaced, now it will not slide onto the spline. Any ideas? It looks like it should, the release ring moves back and forth as it should, but will not slide down.

Just look for the wider flat on the column - align the effective flat across the spokes with it and simply slide on - two clicks down.  19yrs after build, works for me, and no really noticeable play ion the connection. Kept dry - no grease to hold grit to grind away at it.

Left mine at a local motor club event in a field opposite The Strid, Bolton Abbey - fellow member wanted a sit in - I went off and did my competiting in another car.    End of event, came back, got in and drove home in my usual "spirited" manner . . . quite a way up the road, and if you know it, you know its quite twisty, with some altitude changes around corners etc, I discovered he had only put the wheel on one click . . .

Side to side play only won't mean it will come off - 

Pushing it far enough down that the balls drop in to the proper groove and the collar releases properly to trap them there means it will stay on - you could have enough wear in the splines to get Land Rover amounts of side to side play, but as long as the balls drop into a the right groove, of the right depth, and are trapped by the collar . . its going to take an awful lot to get it off!

The same idea of balls in grooves holds pneumatic, hydraulic fittings together, holds work pieces on massive machine centers under considerable loads, holds press tooling in place . . . 

Dont risk any play , Andy Taylor's wheel came off whilst sprinting That only had a small amount of play!

I cannot see how play in the splines would cause the wheel to come off. This would be down to user error or poor maintenance. The mechanism is simple so unless its got debris in it affecting deployment? That said you would notice something different.

I always give mine a good tug to ensure its on properly.

Regards

Ian

I hope you don't mind me asking this, but does anyone actually need a removable wheel on a Seven?

I'm 14 stone and six foot, and when I first had my Caterham S3, I climbed in and out with the full hood up plenty of times (I've now invested in a halfhood with zip *smile* ). At no stage did I think it worth investing in a removable wheel. Having a bolted on wheel also means I don't have to worry about it being stolen or play developing.

Duncan

Theft deterrent was my idea too. 

I loop my belt through it so it hangs to one side when I go off wandering/shopping.

I have simple, cheap, hexagon one on the trials car - means I can store the steering wheel somewhere dry as it lives outside.