Click here if you are having website access problems ×

0-60 Dragy times

Saltyhair81

Has anyone used a Dragy, and if so, would be interested to see what real life times people are getting with what set up.

I purchased one a few weeks back and on a SV 150 Superlight with no doors and a decat, I'm struggling to break 5.5 seconds confirmed. I know I can improve once I sort my start and gear changes. I'm very mechanically sympathetic so I don't like doing too many runs! 

Interested to know if any others have had any experience on the matter? 

You really can't have any mechanical sympathy if you want the best 0-60 times. The testers do things like side stepping the clutch at 5000 rpm, not using the clutch and over revving the engine to avoid changing gear depending on what's required.

I don't think you'll do much better than 5.5 seconds...................... in your own car anyway *hehe*

Take the screen off!!    Did some times at Dunsfold years ago, tried using Ist and going to the limiter in 2nd 6.0sec. Then tried starting in 2nd and up to the limiter.....6.0...no difference! Took the screen off 5.4 sec! Tyre pressure makes a difference.

Interesting comments. I was curious if it would be quicker with my doors back on? Taking the screen off I can understand as it's like hitting a block of wood. I want to keep it as realistic with everyday driving as possible though.

Having the 6 speed means you really need to be in 3rd for 60 unless you want to hit the limiter which doesn't help things with the extra gear change.

I am just interested to see where Caterham got their claimed time's and what factors they take into consideration.  I've had this conversation before about MPG figures too. 

https://dragymotorsports.co.uk/

It's a GPS box that registers your 0-60, 1/8th mile, 1/4 mile etc. The box sits in your car and the app registers times on your phone and is meant to be accurate within 1/100th of a second. It's interesting for feedback and you can take the box with you and use in any car you like. Most of the youtubers running car channels use them! 

re #4, doors and screen - I found at Snetterton this week that running with a screen and no doors cost me 5-10mph on the back straight compared to screen with doors. But it was so warm, no doors ended up as the preferred option in the afternoon. However this is up around 100mph. I doubt the effect is so pronounced up to 60.

At the club's Donington 60th they had such a device.

I have a 1.6k in an unusual set-up; 5 speed box, 3.62 diff and carrying a spare wheel....'touring' spec. you might call it

The car has a 4-2-1 powerspeed exhaust and DVA 13A kit (verniers, light porting, 633 grind cams...), standard ECU.

The car was doing 5.5 / 5.4 seconds to 60mph typically

Clearly a 10% diff. ratio change to make it more 'sprinty' would help and ditching the rear wheel carrier.....maybe 5 seconds??

Oh...I only weigh about 60Kg....too heavy for a jockey, but about the right height!

• 1 year later...
  • Leadership Team

If you have the windscreen on, I suspect that you'd get better times with a roof and doors on.  A half hood, being slightly lower than the roof, might be even quicker, but I dunno if the low pressure zone behind the cockpit might negate that.

I don`t know the workings of a Dragy but it includes an accelerometer. In my experience accelerometers are sensitive to orientation i.e. must be orientated exactly to the direction of acceleration......exactly horizontal and in line with the direction of travel. If it is tipped up or down by a small amount you will get errors in the readings. I doubt that GPS is `change of position` sensitive enough to calculate tenths of seconds.

• 2 weeks later...