Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Handbrake cable attachment method looks strange

Benton

51572FEA-550F-418D-8437-57288FFFB046.thumb.jpeg.ea4b09407748f1c51c393f4dc81b01b7.jpeg
Whilst checking out the overall condition of the underside today came across two areas that require attention. The first was the missing powder coat/rust patches on both sides, I assume caused by road debris thrown up by the rear wheels.
The second area,  mirrored on both sides was the attachment of the handle brake cable. Is it meant to be attached in such a crude manner (the car was built by caterham btw)?

Shouldn't the cable ties be at least wrapped  around the rubber tubing thus holding the cable slightly away from the frame? The cable ties are so tight atm that I'm sure this is how it was assembled and the rubber hasn't slipped out.

Re #5:

I've just realised that that CC photo shows the cable attached to the A-frame. I'd be surprised if the IVA chaps would accept that, but I've no evidence either way.

Just to be clear, my cable is tied to the chassis diagonal adjacent to the A-frame, and not to the A-frame itself.

JV

I IVA'ed my 360 as per the 2016 recommendations, i.e. tie wrapped to the A-Frame, its also how I will present my 420R (when tests are resumed).  

For reference wording from the PBD, checklist as follows. 

"Check handbrake is routed correctly and secured to A-frame" 

and

"Check handbrake cable is not contacting the driveshafts or brake hose when on the floor"

So as we type I'm addressing the cable situation. Mine was cable tied to the A frame, having cut the ties the rubber hoses could have been positioned and cable tied as seen in the Iva illustration, so why they aren't who knows. I've got a couple of areas that now need repainting due to corrosion where the cable ties were attached. Gives me something to do though :-)