Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Product to protect the paint

paisesmediterraneos

Do you know a product to apply to the car to protect the paint against small stones?, it's beginning to appear some marks made by small stones in the sides of the car and the rear wings. Do you know a product that I can use, as amateur (only with a soft cloth, not using any special tool) to protect the paint against small stones?.

Thanks, David from Spain.

I'm in the process of getting all four wings and nosecone wrapped with clear film, too many stonechips in these vulnerable areas and this will help.  Being done by Dale at UlitmatePaintProtection so will report back when completed.

Rest of bodywork is polished and coated with one of the hydrophobic nano coat products - have tried a couple which have been OK but will be trying several others.  Aim to get a good long-lasting finish that's easy to wash.

Not that I'm being too OCD about a 'pristine' finish, rather I'm too lazy to spend lots of time dealing with chips and then washing/polishing everything again and again.  Want to make life easy so more time on the road....

Neil

• Area Representative

The trouble with your location is that these guys will not be able to apply it for you as it does require some previous experience unless you practice!

Dave at Premier Paint Guard produces ready cut kits for DIY applicationhttps://premierpaintguard.com/

https://www.lotus7.club/membership/special-offers-members/ultimate-paint-protection

https://www.lotus7.club/membership/special-offers-members/premier-paint-guard

Dave, I am based in Granada, south of Spain.

I think I won't find anybody here where I live to install protective film and I think it's better I won't do it by myself, as I never had experience with vinyls and protective films and I never saw with my eyes how it is applied .

I would like to protect overall the rear wings, they are becoming touched by small stones in the area close to the upper side of the stainless steel protectors and in the outside edges.

• Area Representative

With care you could apply the long rear wing film yourself. This pre cut item extends to the top mid point of the wing. The film is pre cut in such a way that it will assume the three dimensional curves of the wing.

Give it a go ....it can only result in failure!!

Maybe you are right Geoff, I can try it. If it results in failure, will be easy to remove the film??, didn't the adhesive product damage the paint??.

I was watching PPG web, they have two options, "rear mudguard large" and "rear mudguard L shape", what's the difference between them?, do both of them have the pre cut to save the stainless steel protector mounted from factory?.

John, the carbon fiber protectors are very nice but I want to leave the car original (2003 1.6k Roadsport) and it mounted the classic stainless steel protectors from factory.

Thank you again.

You're right, Geoff.  I didn't do that and I regret it (a bit, at least), although they're a lot more durable than paint!

The LH one suffered a mighty blow from a rock while touring in France.  Luckily, Eric at Millwoods had a second-hand one that he fitted during the annual service.  Top man.

JV

I've gone mad and have CF Millwoods protectors WITH PPF ON TOP of the CF.

The PPF extends about 50mm above the top edge of the CF wing protector.

David, I can probably mail you some PPF . . slightly thicker than that which Dave and others now use . . but something which you could practice with.

You just need two solutions that you can spray onto the PPF and the surface that you're applying it to.

One is a 5-10% solution if IPA. (the "sticker" ).The other is a1-2% solution of liquid soap.  Then you need some type of applicator . . but some sort of rubberised squee-jee generally works. 

I have somewhere some brief instructions that I got from Dave W at PPG in a kit that he sent me some time ago. The good thing about PPF is that if it's looking bad or going wrong as you're applying it then you can just remove it, and bin the waste. Unfortunately good quality PPF is not cheap stuff to buy.

(To be honest - when I had my whole car done recently I paid Dave to do it. Simple bits I'm, sort of, OK at but complex curves are not for the faint hearted.)

Let me know via PM if you want some sending to Spain.

Dave

• Area Representative

paisesmeditteraneos - If you make an error - I know expensive + expletives.

You can remove the offending film with a hair dryer turned up to max. Slowly & carefully peel off otherwise it will stretch & tear going horribly brittle. Then clean up the remaining adhesive CAREFULLY with either white spirit or meths but using a clean soft cotton cloth. Continually change the cloth to avoid paint damage. Then clean with warm soapy water.

Had to go through this process when I decided to re lacquer my CF cycle wings as I had narrow protective film strips on the leading edges. Did not reapply after the spray job!