Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Service period- brake and fuel hoses?

DJ.

Or just replace the copper washer with a new one! 

My fuel hoses, particularly the two with swaged ends and fittings are original, so 23 years old.  I don't know why I didnt think of this earlier in the rebuild, but they need changing.  I've been following this and the other thread on Oertiker clips and will place an eBay order today.  Before I do, I just want to get clear what I need to do.  

Do I cut the fittings of the old rubber tube (using my Dremel probably) by cutting a line along the side of the metal fitting at the end of the pipe, and prizing the sleeve bit off, then puling the banjo (or whatever fitting) that is down the pipe bore? I don't want to slice through the pipe and cut the fitting within the bore.  Is this more or less right?  

And finally, is one hose clip adequate, or do I need two on each union?  

• 4 weeks later...

Morning, I've  successfully changed the fittings on the rubber hoses on the high pressure side with new R9 hose. The Oetiker clips were really easy to use.

Unfortunately the low pressure hose from engine to tunnel is longer than I have left so I'll need more R9 hose. However upon removal, I've discovered this is an R7 hose and looks in such a condition it doesn't need replacing. I've cut a sliver off one end and internally there is no cracking visible. Im minded to refit it. 

while doing this I saw the black plastic pipe that returns the fuel down the tunnel to the tank. What's the thoughts on replacing this, and why is it plastic? I thought petrol degraded plastic. The hp side is metal. Any thoughts on the practicality of changing this while the propshaft gearbox etc are fitted?