Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Zetec Conversions

TANGO7

What opinions do people have on the pros and cons of Caterhams fitted with a Zetec engine?

Are there any specific mods which should be carried out and any potential problems to look for when purchasing a Caterham fitted with a Zetec?

I am aware of the Dunnell conversions are there any other recommended firms and what mods are required to the engine/cooling system etc for installation in a Caterham?

Ian

Ian,

I converted from x/flow to Zetec in 2010/11 and have never regretted it. It's a very popular conversion from the x/flow as it bolts onto the same bellhousing, primaries exit via the same hole (although enlargement is probably necessary) and the carbs/TBs utilise the same bonnet hole. I wrote and article for Low Flying but this isn't yet available in the LF Archives but you can see the article here. The article details the additional parts etc.

More info on my website:

Initial installation on DCOE40s

Subsequent conversion to Jenvey TBs

Happy to answer any questions you have....

• Area Representative

I have a Dunnell ecu (actually ignition mapping) fitted to my Zetec but this is locked so only Dunnell can do the mapping.  I'd recommend getting an ecu which allows you free access to it.

Raceline do Zetec kits.

Until very recently I had a C7 with a Raceline 2l Zetec engine. It was fitted before I bought the car so I have no idea about installation. Over the 3 years I had the car the engine was a delight; apart from routine maintenance it needed no attention and ran beatifully on twin Webers. Always a 1st time starter, provided you primed the carbs. Mainly used on the road, with a few track days;  the power wasn't excessive for the live axle. Hope that helps.

I know someone that was running a powerful Zetec on a live axle. 

He ran the Ital axle upto 160bhp but was advised it was marginal. Once he had some head work done etc and the engine was pushing out 209bhp he swapped to the English/Ford axle, convereted to a 5 speed box and fitted rear discs.

I also run a Raceline 2ltr Blacktop Zetec, fitted with 45 dcoe Webers from the old crossflow (although modified to 5 progression holes by Northampton MS). The engine was fitted bt James Whiting.

Engine bog standard, and puts out around 165bhp.

Utterly reliable, with lots of low level grunt as opposed to the top end of the crossflow. Ideal for road use and touring.

I really think i should have gone for fuel injection at the same time, but was talked out of it.

Col

I’d echo all that’s been said. My xflow was replaced with a std tune 2.0 blacktop zetec 12 years ago. Raceline did the work with lots of their lovely parts used. It has been utterly reliable, with easy torque and 160 plus bhp. I run it on the std twin Weber  40DCOE that the xflow ran, rejetted appropriately. They are at the limit, but fine for this level of tune. I wholeheartedly recommend it for someone who wants a hassle free touring engine. I think the 200bhp spec must be nice, but can’t justify it to myself at present. 

I run a 1.8l zetec on DCOE45's , with an uprated cam, does 152 BHP & 132lb/ft of torque, on an ital axle, spends most of the time on full chat as she does a lot of sprints and hill climbs so is much more stressed than a zetec in a road car.

in 9 years i've lost 2 ital diff's, a set of half shafts and countless diff bushes due to how its been stressed.

A zetec on an ital will be fine for the road as you not pushing at 10/10ths, but I would recommend uprating the half shafts and making sure that the diff is in good condition or serviced.