Click here if you are having website access problems ×

K series let go

p.mole1

• Area Representative

From memory, when DVA fitted my Omega forged piston he machined out around 1cm3 from the piston crown to reduce the compression ratio. May be worth a call to DVA. 

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Makes no difference weather you map it on 95 or 98 RON fuel so long as you continue to use the same fuel afterwards.

I mapped my Duratec on 95      12.7:1 CR    as 98 can be a little rare in rural Wales at times as most things out there use red diesel  *rofl* 

If your running and Emerald K3 or K6 you can have multiple maps on for 95 and another for 98...... but be warned not all 98 fuels behave in the same manner !

Not sure where you are in the country but if you are running an Emerald its worth heading over to see Dave Walker or John at Emerald  *thumbs_up_thumb* 

Thanks something to bare in mind, I was hoping to try and keep the spend down and was going to put the engine back together as it was plus a slightly higher compression it was mapped on 95 octane and I think it was mapped on the conservative side for safety  . I had my injectors cleaned and tested at Emerald and they performed fine at the rolling road session but they were getting towards their maximum capacity. I don't really want to have to rely on 98 octane fuel if I can help it. Does the K6 have the facility for a knock sensor?.

Hi thanks  I will go for the elastomer gasket and increased compression and a rolling road sessionIMG_4003.thumb.JPG.58007cb1a1c4f6000893645eae6823b4.JPG

Spent most of the day stripping and cleaning the block, grinding clearance for the starter what a pain! Spigot bush and bearing fitted and crank and block now assembled. I have also bought a second 1.8 K bottom end. I have a set of standard rods and pistons in their liners a garage full of enough spares to build a complete Supersport engine to drop in just incase!

One thing I noticed is the rubber in the crankshaft damper has perished, more expense!   

Spent the last 8 hours building up the bottom end, no wonder engines are so expensive. I've had to give up with the crankshaft oil seal I couldn't get it seat. The last engine I built i used a rubber mallet to seat the oil seal but this time I just can't it in. I'm going to make a tool tomorrow to press it in.IMG_4017.thumb.JPG.2dff23f60ca6bfe15a49b2d10e1530a4.JPG IMG_4018.thumb.JPG.f1c48a80c5f9515c83b3ad0dab0bc52a.JPG

Pretty sure it’s one of mine so it will be correctly dimensioned, it is quite tight but then it has to be as the housing expands when hot and it is a large diameter seal, in addition the housing/nacelle tends to slacken a little over time. Cemented in with silicone sealant on the flange and clamped it should stay in place.

Oily

Hi Oily thanks it's in, I used the Rover black sealant and put a bit too much on which made it difficult to locate. I removed all the sealant cleaned everything up and made a tool to press it in and used a bit less sealant. A bit Heath Robinson but it did the job

IMG_4022.thumb.JPG.8c3a27afe23a1bfa826affbc4d1c533e.JPG

Finally I've got it in, it took some time to line it up with the first motion shaft Have used Millers running in oil to bed in the rings, I started it last night and took it straight out and gave it some wide throttle openings to bed the rings in. How long are you supposed to leave this stuff in? I'm hoping to put a few hundred mile on it tomorrow.

IMG_4056.thumb.JPG.d20455fad4c6dfdfaa20f54d6f0930c0.JPG

Worked for both mine . .. on the standard head gasket change at 30,000 miles ish  ;) , bores showed no feel-able sign of wear, still had good crosshatching pattern.

Worked on the crossflow in the trials car too - although that does smoke on occasion - the occasions when it's at more than 45 degrees to the horizontal and theres something else going on with the oil flow ;)

Thanks, I've been out today and put a few hundred miles on and everything seems good, it was boiling hot today. I am not reving it above 4000 but plenty of throttle now and again to bed the rings in. I have put an 88 thermostat in because my oil temperature was a bit low. My radiator fan switch has failed, what temperature range switch is used for an 88 degree stat