Click here if you are having website access problems ×

K series let go

p.mole1

If you driving hundreds of miles under 4K you have done far more harm than good.

Rings should be bedded in as soon as the car is up to temp, 2nd gear 3k up to limiter on full throttle, lift and coast, then repeat about a dozen times then drive hard full rev range and load.

Then need full engine cylinder pressure applied in order to expand them and therefore bed correctly, otherwise they merely polish up and will never bed in fully.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn't really want to be reving the knackers off an engine with a new crank and pistons with running in oil?  I have been driving around Northumberland, very steep hills and have done 300 miles I not ragging it but I'm driving it quite hard, does this mean I've glazed the bores? 

I have heard so many conflicting reports over the years, I haven't got a clue, some say put synthetic straight away others put mineral oil in some say keep the revs down but plenty of throttle, others no full throttle. 

On my previous engine I kept the revs down and around 350 miles on mineral oil, then drove it as if it was run in on synthetic after it blew up I inspected the the remaining 3 liners and they seemed to have bedded in fine with no glazing and it didn't use any oil apart from a bit on track days.

Anyway I'd like to thank Dave Andrews for his advice and supply of parts, plus his invaluable web page, I'd be lost without it! Up to now oil pressure is 60+ at 70 degrees oil temp, the water temp stays at steady 80 degrees and only goes up to 90 when stationary for 5 minutes