Click here if you are having website access problems ×

K series oil pressure drop on track

Matt230

Hi all, I apologise as i know this has been discussed before and i have read previous posts....

However i would appreciate some wisdom please...

1.8 k series R400 spec DVA tuned, with an Apollo tank.  Just completed my first track day in this car at Snetterton and noticed on the mechanical oil pressure gauge significant oil pressure drop off in corners, particularly right handers such as Montreal where pressure would drop to around 20 - 30 psi.  Car is on Toyo 888's.  From internet research i believe this is pressure at the pump and as the oil pickup is on the right of the sump for a while pressure at the pump drops thus the pressure drop. i also believe that the Apollo tank provides oil during this situation?

I know a dry sump is the answer but i am not sure i can stomach the cost at the moment.  I don't know if this car has foam in the sump or the gasket mod as performed to my last 7. 

Is this pressure drop off likely to cause damage or does the apollo 'fill the gaps'?

thanks for reading

Matt

Second that,

Always keep the oil level at max when on track. Otherwise the pressure will drop earlier. My engine survived at least 150 trackdays with wet sump and it gave up due to a snapped cambelt (3 months old). Look after the engine, use decent oil and change it often.

While you are finding out about the foam and checking the gasket for holes, you could also remove the oil pick-up pipe and 'petal' indent the flange to allow more oil to be picked up when flush to the bottom of the sump, another Oily recommended modification.

• Area Representative

i also believe that the Apollo tank provides oil during this situation?

No! The function of the Apollo tank is to separate the oil and air, to ensure only oil is fed to the bearings.

According to "Oilly" (and as I recall...) the Apollo tank does provide a short term resevoir of oil which helps in starvation episodes...

Not as good as a dry sump but better than standard

The Apollo’s primary function is to act a de-aerator, however it is a 3 litre canister of pressurised oil that sits between the oil pump and the primary feed to the engine. If the oil pickup starts to grab air due to surge, the pressure will drop as the oil pump is not efficient as an air pump, however the reservoir of oil in the Apollo will continue to feed to the bearings albeit at lower pressure, so the affects of oil surge are mitigated to a great extent, during a long interruption to the oil supply oil may only be fed by gravity, but this is a lot better than the immediate feeding of air to the bearings with no Apollo fitted. In my experience most Caterham engines without Apollo tanks have already suffered bearing damage, some mild, some almost catastrophic, of those engines with Apollo’s fitted only a very small number have sustained bearing damage.

Oily.