Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Engine temp low!

twincamtim

Just been out for a lovely drive (from Manchester to Whitchurch and back). No problems to report except when I got about 2 miles from home and I noticed the water temp gauge was showing around 70 degrees - it has never been below 80ish! Checked when I got back home and no obvious leaks or funny noises. What is going on?? 

*confused* [Worried of Chorlton]

Just low ambient temperature ? Or electric sender starting to fail ? Are all hoses getting equally warm ? If bottom hose warms as quickly as the top hose from start up, the thermostat may be stuck open. If it stays cold until engine hot, then suddenly warms, stat is opening.

Cold ambient temperature, slow speed when you are around your home, a little over cooling, I'd put money on there not being a problem. My BDR is the same, it has a 72 degree stat, you can watch it cycling, only gets up to an indicated 80 on a run, and when it's cold I blank a bit of the rad off to assist in warm up.

I have two pieces of black closed cell foam, each about one third of the nosecone opening ... in vertical strips. In cold weather, I insert one or both between the 7 grille and mesh. I also have a bit that I can use to insulate the Apollo tank to keep the oil temperature up.

I was out today in Scotland and my 1.6 Supersport wouldn't go above ~70 degrees however hard I drove. A bit of very slow driving or idling and it eventually rose to 80 degrees and then was quite steady there. I often find this up here in the frozen north....