Click here if you are having website access problems ×

dash vibration

CtrMint

Guys,

I have a small issue with a vibration through my dash which results in a high frequency buzz when driving.  If I hold the indicator toggle switch it stops.  So I’m assuming it’s that switch.  I’ve messed with the front of it and it seems tight.

Is there any recommended common solutions to this? Also how are they removed?  Caterham fitted the switches and I can’t find any instructions about their assembly.

i was thinking of fitting a fibrous washer behind??  It’s the carbon dash if that makes any difference.

Appreciate any experience on this, it’s trivial I know but it’s annoying being distracted by it.

One switch out of the three toggle type does it, I just want to sort the one which is vibrating, so it’s like the other two. I don’t see this as a big deal. I appreciate how the engine is mounted too and I don’t mind that.

I had the same vibration at certain (low) revs in town etc. It stopped when I pressed the scuttle edge downwards towards the carbon dash. I inserted a small piece of 1 mm thick black rubber sheet between the two - totally sorted. If is truly the switch(es) you can get 0.5 mm thick rubber sheets and you could perhaps mount behind. 

I can live with the creaks and thumps from the suspension but buzzy vibrations like this I find very irritating

btw, I was under the rear of my car today - cleaning pieces of pheasant (that I was forced to straddle) off my diff and petrol tank. Mine makes the same noise as in your video when I wiggled the wheels without actually turning them 

Threaded washer? Where? There’s a hex nut that should be behind the panel and the knurled fastener in front. 

Both are used so you can set the switch in the panel at the depth you prefer. That’s normal. 

Tbh I can’t see how the switch is the source of vibration. You holding it probably just damps out the panel. 

Nut behind the dash sets depth, threaded knurled ring in front tightened against it.

If it is loose, yes tighten it. But if that doesn't fix the vibration...

I spent the first few years of ownership chasing rattles, noises, suspension clonks over bumps etc. Whenever I raised threads on here about them, some clever cloggs would say "just wear ear plugs" which I always used to think was flippant and unhelpful. However after seven years of ownership and a lot more experience of other Caterhams as well as like-minded cars such as Elises and Exiges - I'm afraid I now wear earplugs, or earphones and turn the music up. There really is a new noise to worry about on every blat with these little cars. If a noise is telling me that something is broken and needs fixing, I fix it. But the everyday rattles, buzzes, squawks and clonks are just part of the character of a Caterham.

You might be right, I guess the location of the dash where the indicator is could be more prone to resonating the vibration, where as the beam and flash are set in a location which is more rigid thus can’t move as much.  I’ll try Collidogs suggestion, will need something to pad it with.

I had a annoying dash vibration, turned out the be the steering column resonating with the engine vibrations at 2500rpm, The column didn’t touch the exhaust, so I know I had to change the columns resonate frequency some how.  I did it by rotating the rack just a little putting the UJ at a slightly increased angle.  Vibration sorted.

You coud try sticking a pad of sound deadoning mat on the rear of the dash , could  stop it resonating .

I think that's probably the most practical solution -- apart from earplugs of course!

My first 7 (1999 Roadsport) has a severely irritating dash vibration right from the beginning.  In the end, I traced it to where the edge of the ali dash panel was touching the steering column.  A little judicious easing of the panel fixed it.

JV

Re pheasant - it was already flat in the road. On approach I thought it was a rabbit and flat enough to straddle  (couldn’t go around it as car on other side of road). Anyway part of the underside ‘scraped’ it - protruding bolt threads and rear axle. 

Definitely had a good plucking and feathers everywhere!

I tried some double glazing rubber gasket which I've been using to refresh my windows.  I tried wedging it between the carbon and lower run of the dash hoop.  This first attempt wasn't a success.

I'll have a nose at the steering column, I know it's not making contact with the exhaust, but it's certainly worth a look.

Other than that I was thinking of fitting an o-ring to the threaded section of the switch, fitting the o-ring behind the dash and the nut, It might just be enough to dampen the buzz.

Have you tried squirting some rubber lube on the switch housing or surrounding area on the rear of the dash?  I've had a  persistent squeak from one end of my Golf dashboard.  On removing the end panel and inspecting, there was contact between two fairly major molding that didn't 'look right' Lots of rubber lube, it cured the squeak.   

it's a buzz rather than squeak. 

I'm sure there is a vibration in the dash which would probably be considered acceptable for the car, but the switch happens to have a little play and thus vibrates causing the buzz.  Grab the switch and it stops.  I might just replace the switch.

I've noticed after the first 300miles I've ended up with a tiny amount of lateral play in the steering wheel which I traced down to the steering UJ bolt, nearest to the wheel. I've retorqued that, haven't road tested it yet, unlikely to have solved it but you never know.  

Or than than I think I'll try the o-ring approach behind the dash, or even half a grommet.

Re: the steering play. The only UJ I'm aware of is the one near the rack - as it is splined there shouldn't be play. The normal areas for play are the collapsible joint near the top of the steering column, or the splines on the wheel / boss if you have a removable steering wheel. You can't fix the latter unless you buy a different type of removable wheel.